VS2005 remove file from Project = Delete in Vault?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

VS2005 remove file from Project = Delete in Vault?

Post by Tri » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi,

Using Vault Client., Server v4.12

Solution Type: *.ssmssln, Projetc Type: *.ssmssqlproj (SQL Server 2005 Script solution/Project). I assume the behavior described below could be the same in Visual Studio 2005.

I remove a file from the project. The file is indeed removed but the file is also deleted in Vault. I find this way of doing is rather dangerous. Only today, I have already lost files twice today. Each time I had to use Vault Client GUI to do an Undelete.

I just want to remove the file from the project, but I do want to keep the copy in Vault Server. When I really want to remove the file from Vault Server, I'd prefer to do it manually. The ideal would be to add in the form where Visual Studio asks for confirmation of the Remove/Delete of the file, a checkbox "Also delete the file from Source Control".

May be I am doing something wrong but is there a way to let Vault Client know not to delete a file automatically from Source Control?

FYI, In SQL Server Management Studio, the option to select Source Control / Plug-In Selection only show None and SourceGear Vault Classic Client. There is no SourceGear Visual Studio Enhanced Client like in Visual Studio 2005.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ian_sg

Re: VS2005 remove file from Project = Delete in Vault?

Post by ian_sg » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:45 am

It's possible that this project type does something unusual, and that's why you're seeing this behavior. We'll investigate. Excluding a file from a project should not delete it from Vault. Deleting a file, on the other hand, should.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

Tri

Post by Tri » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:31 pm

ian_sg wrote:It's possible that this project type does something unusual, and that's why you're seeing this behavior. We'll investigate. Excluding a file from a project should not delete it from Vault. Deleting a file, on the other hand, should.
Please ignore, issue solve. It's just because of the confusing GUI of SQL Server Management Studio 2005/2008. SSMS Project is slightly different than VS2005 / VS2008. There is only one option "Remove" instead of "Exclude from project" and "Delete" like in Visual Studio.

In SSMS, when you select Remove, then there is a second screen that give the choice "Remove" or "Delete", when you click on "Remove" then there is a 3rd screen which asks:

1- "Delete the item locally and in the source control store"
2- "Only delete the item locally"

Strangely enough, the default choice for "Remove" is set to the 1st one (that I admit I didn't check as wouldn't have suspected that the designer of SSMS would make this confusing default choice). That is why my files were all deteded.

Selecting "Only delete the item locally" actually means "Exclude from Project", the local file is still there.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks for the update.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager