File Content Search

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

PeteM

File Content Search

Post by PeteM » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:51 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to search the content of files from the Vault Client? The only thing I could find in the forums about this was some time ago, so I wondered if the feature had been added yet, or will be in the not too distant future ??

Many thanks,

Pete.

lbauer

Re: File Content Search

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:28 am

Vault does not yet have the Find in Files feature. We have feature request 5252 logged for this functionality; I'll add your vote. We don't have a timeline as yet for implementation.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

stevek2

Post by stevek2 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:13 pm

I would like to see this feature, too -- please add my vote. It would be even cooler if you could use SQL full-text indices to do the search on the server rather than iterating through thousands of files on my local disk.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10 am

Files are stored as BLOBs in the database, so a text search against the database wouldn't work. We'll need to have some way to bring files to a temp space or table in order to do this search. I'll add your "vote" for the find in files feature.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jdpalmer

Post by jdpalmer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:20 pm

Add my name to the list! "Find in Files" was helpful in VSS and I miss it dearly since we upgraded to Vault. We have numerous projects for numerous subsidiary companies, and a file search from Windows Explorer just plain doesn't work (it never has). A search from the cmd line using "findstr" is my current workaround.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Will do.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jstarbird

Post by jstarbird » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 pm

I'd like to add a vote for being able to do a Find in Files. One idea for you, perhaps implement it like Blame, via the web interface, allowing for the temp to be on the server as this would allow the entire process to be much faster than downloading to the client.

Thanks,
J

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:32 pm

We got a lot of feedback about this feature, and we are looking at the possibility of implementing it in the next version of Vault. We don't have a time frame just yet. But we are listening to our users. :-)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear