Cryptographic failure while signing assembly

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Beth

Re: Cryptographic failure while signing assembly

Post by Beth » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:05 pm

What the installer does is add the permissions it needs to the RSA Machine Keys folder. Without that, the software will not work. I can put in a feature request to change that, but I don't have any work-around for the adding of permissions.

The issue seems to be here that somehow you lost permissions. I haven't been able to reproduce this yet. Every install I've had leaves any custom permissions I have set and then adds additional permissions for our software.

I've have already logged a bug on this so that the developers see it and am continuing to investigate it. If you have the time, I would like to see the install in action on your machine. If that is ok with you, then could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BillB4

Post by BillB4 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:02 am

The "Eveyone" group already has r/w permissions on that folder so there is really no need to alter permissions.

All I know for certain is: 1) I lose the ability to compile signed assemblies after installing Vault Server; 2) the only way to regain the ability to compile signed assemblies is to uninstall Vault Server *AND* do a System Restore. I do not know for certain what the installer is doing to cripple the system.

Are there permissions being altered on other folders too? Perhaps this is not an issue when the Server is installed on a separate, dedicated machine. It does happen when installing the Server and Client on the same computer configured with Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2010.

I'm sorry but I cannot install this again. I had access to a computer going off-lease.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:47 am

Fortress does add permissions for several folders. I'm not sure yet what has made the behavior on your system be different than our tests or some of the other customers. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If anyone else has the same results as this user, feel free to post them.
Beth Kieler

antonburger

Post by antonburger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:50 am

I've just had exactly the same thing happen after installing the 64-bit Vault Standard Server 5.0.4.18845 on Windows 7 Enterprise. I don't know what the permissions on that directory were before, but after the installation, "Everyone" and "Administrators" were both listed without any permissions assigned to them.

I had the same symptoms too - VS 2010 suddenly started complaining about cryptographic errors while signing newly-built assemblies.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:23 am

after the installation, "Everyone" and "Administrators" were both listed without any permissions assigned to them.
Were you able to resolve it by giving those accounts access to the folder? Or do you still need help with this issue?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

antonburger

Post by antonburger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:45 am

lbauer wrote:Were you able to resolve it by giving those accounts access to the folder? Or do you still need help with this issue?
I just gave "Administrators" full control again, as per the link already mentioned, and that solved it. Beth asked if anyone else had the same problem, so I piped up :) If there's anything else I can do to help narrow it down, let me know.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks for your feedback. Had you run the install as Administrator, or did you install as an Admin user on the machine?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

antonburger

Post by antonburger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 am

I installed as an admin user on my machine.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:51 am

Thank you for the additional information. Is that a local admin or a domain admin?

Is your computer part of a domain?

F: 15752
Beth Kieler

antonburger

Post by antonburger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:55 am

I'm local admin on my machine, but it and my account are on a domain.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:40 am

For some reason, the installer which ran under that account was able to set some, but not all the necessary permissons during the installation.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

BillB4

Post by BillB4 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 am

Has this issue been fixed in 5.1.1?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:27 am

I'm not sure that its a bug -- it could be the account the user installed under didn't have all the permissions needed to make the proper changes to folder security.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

SRing

Post by SRing » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:37 am

I had this same error with 5.1.1, and I have admin privileges. Resetting the permissions on the MachineKey folder solved things here too. I guess that I don't know why the installer changes existing premissions. So, I would say that it's a bug.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Did you use a custom account/impersonation for the IIS Process Model account. There may be a bug when impersonation is used.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear