Vault -> Fortress Migration Problem with VS2008

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

quantum00

Vault -> Fortress Migration Problem with VS2008

Post by quantum00 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:06 am

The Vault 4.1 -> Fortress 1.1.4 migration seems to have gone well in that the following work perfectly:

1) The administrative web application
2) The Fortress Client

However, upon 1) Selection of SourceGear Fortress Visual Studio Enhanced Client from the VS 2008 window, 2) File -> Open from Fortress, 3) selecting my folder and 4) setting new binding to NEW folder location (c:\Fortress\RepoName\Solution v. c:\Vault\RepoName\Solution), VS2008 gives the following error:

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
Failed to register project with SourceGear Fortress Visual Studio Enhanced Client.

Project X is bound using a different SCC provider: SourceGear Vault Visual Studio 2005 Client:{1EA47954-8515-402d-82D9-B5C332120A8D}
OK

This message is repeated for each project in the solution.

Upon completion of error message series, the solution displays with NO projects loaded.

In the file system, only the solution (.sln) file exists. No other folders are loaded.

Upon using Fortress Client to download the source tree, the folders and files DO download perfectly. However, upon opening this in VS2008, the same error message as shown above is shown for each project.

Note that this is VS2008 Team Edition with SP1 installed.

Any ideas on how to get VS2008 to work correctly? As you can see from the above information, the Fortress client is being used and it's on a completely new folder.

Beth

Re: Vault -> Fortress Migration Problem with VS2008

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:26 am

Let's try unbinding from the Classic Client first, and then you can switch it to use the Enhanced Client if that's what you prefer. Please note that everyone has to work with the same client as what the first person chose for the solution.

Go to VS Tools - Options - Source Control and select the Classic Client. Once that setting is saved, go to File - Source Control - Open from Source Control. Go through the normal opening process. When finished go to File - Source Control - Change Source Control. Select every line in the change window and click Unbind. Click OK, and then Save All. Return to Go to VS Tools - Options - Source Control and select the Enhanced Client. Then go to File - Fortress Source Control - Change Fortress bindings, select the .sln entry and click bind. You will be asked to select the folder that holds the .sln file. Then do the same for all the other lines and click ok.

Once you are finished rebinding, you can check everything in so that the new bindings are in place. Then then the others users can just select the Enhanced Client and perform an Open From Fortress to get the project with the new bindings.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

quantum00

Post by quantum00 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:28 am

Hmm... that won't work.

After I posted this though I realized that the csproj files are bound to the old client GUID. I think I just need to find the new SCC GUID and I'll be setup.

quantum00

Post by quantum00 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:48 am

SOLUTION:

Create a new solution in VS2008. Do a File -> Fortress Source Control -> Add Solution to Fortress.

When you do you, your NEW csproj (probably works for VB too) will have a section that looks like this:

<SccProvider>..............</SccProvider>

It will have the new SCC GUID you can use to replace the old ones in each project.

Using Fortress Client, get your OLD stuff, check out EACH csproj file and copy the NEW <SccProvider></SccProvider> section your just created into EACH of your OLD csproj files, replacing their <SccProvider></SccProvider> sections.

Now you can open your solutions in VS2008 again and check-in your changes.

MUCH easier than any GUI method. Simply copy/paste.

quantum00

Post by quantum00 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:52 am

SOLUTION (APPENDIX):

Also, the Fortress 1.1.4 SccProvider section is:

<SccProvider>SourceGear Vault Visual Studio 2005 Client:{7BE9CE03-56BF-4682-9C06-78C68B134B30}</SccProvider>

This may change. So, try this first, but you may have to do the other help.

quantum00

Post by quantum00 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:58 am

SOLUTION (APPENDIX):

On solutions and everything else, you could actually just do a replace:

(old)
1EA47954-8515-402d-82D9-B5C332120A8D

with

(new)
7BE9CE03-56BF-4682-9C06-78C68B134B30

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:19 am

Were you bound to the Classic Client with Vault before upgrading or the Enhanced Client? In my answer, I was assuming it was the Classic Client.

If you weren't using the Classic Client before, then I would point to instructions that we have posted here: Bindings After Upgrading to Fortress.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support