Testing the new client

Moderator: SourceGear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:33 am
Hi,

I downloaded and tried the new client. It has an impressive UI that feels like Office 2007.
I have two issues with it:
  • Getting the latest version of a project tree had retrieved all the files although most of the files were up to date.
  • There was no performance improvement. Shall I wait till the new server is released for performance improvements?

Ehud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:10 am
Ehud:

Thanks for waiting to get the preview out the door. We're glad you like the UI, as it was risky to deviate from the VSS interface.

Two answer your questions:
1) Do you recall the status of the files? If they were unknown or missing, then SOS 5 will re-download them so it knows the exact version/timestamp of the files within your working folder.

2) In what areas?

In regards to the SOS CTP , you can expect performance enhancements in a couple of different areas:

- Folder scans - The SourceOffSite client scans folders to inspect files within working folders in order to determine status. This was improved, and you should notice much more responsiveness within the application, especially when working with folders with thousands and thousands of files.

- Recursive operations - While the actual time it takes to download a file (downloading 650 MB still requires 650 MB of data no matter how you slice it), SOS 5 is now multi-threaded in how it handles the files once retrieved. It is also uses multiple threads when handling recursive operations where FILE LISTS need to be retrieved in order to execute operations (Recursive GET, CHECKOUT, CHECKIN, and UNDO). In WAN testing this morning, downloading ~72MB of 2600 files in 140 directories to an empty folder, my average GET time went from ~330 seconds in SOS 4.2 to ~280 seconds in SOS 5.0.

One thing you may want to increase is the "worker_threads" element in the sosclient.config file. The file is stored in your LOCAL app data directory under SourceGear\SourceOffSite. The default number of threads is 24. You may want to experiment with this number adding 6 or 8 threads at a time and restarting the client to see if it improves performance.

In regards to the server code, we will be investigating ways to optimize operations there, and will have a preview of a new server at a later date.

Thanks again, and keep your feedback coming.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 am
A follow up here...

I did some testing for GET on $/ from a repository with 11,000+ files. In my tests, SOS 5 is taking about 1/3 the amount of time for a GET on a large number of files vs. SOS 4.2. When multiple files will be involved, the new multi-threaded behavior of SOS 5 will definitely be a benefit.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Return to SourceOffSite 5 Preview