Database Size Impact of daily Shelve

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

IanG

Database Size Impact of daily Shelve

Post by IanG » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:59 am

Hi,
We have just installed Fortress 2.0.1 and have a question about Shelve; Some of my users would like to use Shelve as a daily back up facility, so at the end of the day they could shelve their changes into the database (where they will be automaticaly backed up). The following day (asuming all is well) they would then delete the shelveset ready to make a new one at the end of the day.
On the face of it this sounds like a good idea but I am concerned about the possible impact on database size of 10 users createing and then deleteing a shelve set every day. Our sgvault database is already 35GB and I would hate it to get to a really unmanageable size where we have to start worring about doing differential backups and things like that. We run in fully logged recovery model and do a full database backup and a log file backup every night. Do you have any thoughts about whether using shelve in this way would be sensible?

Rgrds Ian.

jeremy_sg

Re: Database Size Impact of daily Shelve

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:09 am

As long as the shelvesets are deleted, the space should return to you with no problems. Shelveset file contents are compressed as well. I think that you are safe to use shelve as a backup mechanism.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

IanG

Re: Database Size Impact of daily Shelve

Post by IanG » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:21 am

Hi, Thanks for the reply, we will give it a try and see how we get on with it.

Rgrds Ian