No checkin comment for 'Add this File'

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Marcel

No checkin comment for 'Add this File'

Post by Marcel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 am

Fortress does not ask for checkin comments when adding files to our repository using the option 'Add this File', although checkin comments are required for this repository. For Word documents etc. we require that the user adds the document version as the checkin comment. This can now easily be forgotten.
When the user adds files or folders using the 'Add Files/Folder...' option, Fortress does ask for checkin comments.

BTW, we are using Fortress version 1.1.1.18060.

Beth

Re: No checkin comment for 'Add this File'

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Where are you performing the Adds at? In the Fortress GUI client or from inside VS? I'm not sure where you are finding a function called 'Add this File.'

An Add is not viewed the same as a check-in. The require comments on check-in is only supposed to be for check-ins. I can log a request to have the require comments cover adds as well.

F: 15197
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 am

I have the "Show non-version-controlled files ghosted in file list" option checked. The option 'Add this File' will then appear in the Fortress GUI client when selecting a ghosted file in the file list pane. The option 'Add Files/Folder...' is available when right-clicking a folder in the folder list pane.

You are right, adding a file is considered a 'create' event. But I think it would be good if comments would be required here as well.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:29 pm

I have it logged. Thanks for your feedback.
Beth Kieler

montek

Post by montek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:10 am

We would like to see this added as well. It's misleading to suggest you can set this option for the repository and then discover that sometimes it's not enforced. Though I certainly appreciate the technical differences between these activities, the intent of configuring the repository this way is to avoid any activity that creates a version/history that lacks a check-in comment.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 19, 2010 10:45 am

I have logged your vote. Thank you for your feedback.

F: 15197
Beth Kieler