Vault Client API to locate specific item id

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

matt5tephens

Vault Client API to locate specific item id

Post by matt5tephens » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 pm

We use Vault 5 and Fogbugz 7 together and i'd like to know if there is an easy way to locate the transaction data or id simply from the information stored in the FogBugz database.
Currently i am able to do a history search on the file path that FogBugz stores using the file version number as both the minimum and maximum version for the query and from there i can locate the transaction id and hence the transaction details using the API. I noticed that Vault also passes in another id value to store in FogBugz database and when running my history query with the API i can see that the value is the same as VaultLib.VaultHistoryItemBase.ID value.

So my question is can i get directly to that VaultHistoryItem instance with that ID value in one step or must i use the mechanism i described above to locate the transaction details? Or is there a better way?

The reason i want to do this is i am writing a FogBugz plugin for our server which will automatically update cases in FogBugz with our Vault comments. It always seems a real pain to type a nice description for a changeset into Vault and then have to go and type something similar into FogBugz. I know we probably should have gone for Dragnet in the early days and now we'd be on Fortress but unfortunately we didn't!

Thanks

Matt Stephens

jeremy_sg

Re: Vault Client API to locate specific item id

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:42 am

I'm sorry, but I don't think there's a better way. That ID is constant through every version of the file, so it won't help you get the details for any specific transaction.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog