Item Tracking - Priority is being changed

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

hsconnor

Item Tracking - Priority is being changed

Post by hsconnor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:56 am

We have seen numerous instances of an item's priority being changed to Urgent without the user requesting this change. It seems to coincide with a status change, but the problem is intermittent and does not occur everytime a status is changed. Any idea on why this may be happening or when a fix is planned is appreciated.

Thanks!

Beth

Re: Item Tracking - Priority is being changed

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Which version of Fortress are you using?

What OS was the server installed on?

Does it make a difference which user is making the change? Is there anything consistent like only XP users or Vista users get the change to happen like that, or only users of one browser over another?

Does this happen just in the web client or the Vault GUI client or inside Visual Studio?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

hsconnor

Post by hsconnor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:12 am

Below is the info regarding my client and server. To the best of my knowledge, the problem has only occurred by XP clients using the web client.

Client Information
Fortress Client Version: 2.0.2.18753
.Net Framework Version: 2.0.50727.3603
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack: 3.0
OS Version: 5.1.2600
Total Physical Memory: 2 GB
Time Zone: (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Server Information
Fortress Server Version: 2.0.2.18753
.Net Framework Version: 2.0.50727.4200
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 Standard
Service Pack: 2.0
OS Version: 6.0.6002
Timezone: (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
SQL Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (X64)
Nov 24 2008 16:17:31
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:26 pm

We have no other cases of this and have never had it happen in testing nor with our production install that we use.

Check the audit information for each item that was changed. Was only the status being changed or were other fields being changed as well?

Check the audit information on those whose priority didn't change. Is there something different about those?

Could you check your Fortress server log at C:\Windows\temp\sgfortress\fortress.log for errors? If you see any that occur around the same time frame or even the same day as one of the priority changes, can you post it?

The status and priority are right next to each other, so it's very possible to have a mis-click as well.
Beth Kieler

hsconnor

Post by hsconnor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Its difficult to locate when this is happening (I don't know how to search for a priority change), but I've been able to locate 15 items so far. They all involve a change in assignment, and all but one involve a change in status at the same timestamp. There is no other pattern that I can find (they are not being assigned to the same person or to the same status). These are actions that we make many times on a daily basis, so the problem is evidently very inconsistent. In the cases I've located, the priority is being changed from 3-Medium to either 1-Urgent or a new priority that we've created, 0-Scope Item.

This has happened often enough that I doubt it is a slip-up. In addition, the priority change is more than just a single-level change, it would require that the user change the priority at least 2 levels. And note that it may be happening more often that I suspect. The only reason that these instances have come to our attention is that the priority was bumped up to the highest or second-highest level. A change to a lower level probably wouldn't come to our attention. If there was a way that I could search on items that have had their priority changed, that would help isolate the issue, but I'm not aware of how to do that.

Our log file was refreshed on 2/15, so I was unable to find any errors. If I can, I'll try to do queries each day to locate the problem on the day it occurs, and then will examine the log file for errors.

hsconnor

Post by hsconnor » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:52 am

I was able to obtain past log files from our IT dept, and I don't see an error message that coincides exactly with the priority changes, but I should mention that we experience an abundance of "Server error 500" errors, specifically:
-------------------------------------------------------
Server error 500 Failed to load viewstate. The control tree into which viewstate is being loaded must match the control tree that was used to save viewstate during the previous request. For example, when adding controls dynamically, the controls added during a post-back must match the type and position of the controls added during the initial request. at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadViewStateRecursive(Object savedState) at System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) at MantisControlsLib.LinkNotationViewer.LoadControls(Boolean escape) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
-------------------------------------------------------

In all the cases I've looked at, the user that experienced the change in priority also logged a server 500 error earlier in the same day. However, as I said, we experience an abundance of these errors every day, so I'm not sure its related to the priority problem.

Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:11 am

I think it's possible. Here's a Microsoft KB article that talks about that that error means: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555353.

We've only had one other user show up with that error: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 00&start=0.

What browser are you using for changing Fortress items?

Do users ever see priority changes if they use the "Browse Fortress Items" function from inside either the Fortress GUI client or the Fortress integration in Visual Studio?
Beth Kieler

Marcel

Post by Marcel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:32 am

Hi, I found something similar, but its cause might be different from the problem described in the earlier posts.

We are using Fortress version 2.0.4.18845. When the 'Cancel' button is clicked for a item in Item Tracking web site and the status (or probably any other field) is changed, the priority automatically changes to 'Unknown' when the 'Save' button is clicked!

Is this bug fixed in the latest version of Vault Pro?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:27 pm

This is the first this was reported. I ran a test and have that same behavior. I will get a bug logged.

Thank you for reporting this.

F: 15896
Beth Kieler