[Sorta urgent] XNA projects don't check in correctly.

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cohowap

[Sorta urgent] XNA projects don't check in correctly.

Post by cohowap » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:42 pm

Hello,
I am currently using Fortress trial to test some source integration with some projects I am working on.

I noticed a fairly big defect when working with XNA projects. When I right click "Add To Source Control" on the solution, it checks everything in except the content folder.

The issue is, with XNA the content folder is the primary folder for the project. It includes another sub-project folder which is called Content.contentproj, so if the tool parses through the proj files, maybe it's ignoring that type?

Also, I am using the Enhanced Visual Studio Client, with Visual Studio 2008 Team Suite. The classic tool works slightly better, but that doesn't "Get latest" properly on the Content project.

Please if there is a solution, help me out. I beleive I am using Fortress 2.0.2. We really like the product, but this issue is blocking us from approving the software purchase.

If you need the XNA version I am using, it is XNA Game Stuido 3.1 and can be downloaded at : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Thanks.
Dave

Beth

Re: [Sorta urgent] XNA projects don't check in correctly.

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:00 am

Was the XNA plug-in added prior to installing Fortress?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

cohowap

Post by cohowap » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 am

The XNA framework was installed prior to the current version install. I had a previous version installed before.

Also, I tried editing the Merge types and that didn't do anything. I think this is an official bug.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:54 pm

I am not entirely sure we support this, because I know we haven't specifically done any testing. Nonetheless, I downloaded it, created a project and got to the point of having the kind of content folder you were talking about and didn't have a problem getting it into source control. I may need to replicate what you have more closely to recreate this.

1) Are all the projects located below the solution folder. By that, I mean do you have a layout similar to this:
--Solution folder
-----|-----.sln
-----|-----project folder 1
--------------|-----.csproj
--------------|-----other project folders
--------------|-----other project files
-----|-----project folder 2
-------------|-----.csproj

If the project is outside the scope of the solution folder, then a different route for binding may be needed.

2) What OS are you working on?

3) Are you the only one testing this right now, or are there others involved? If others are involved, then you need to make sure everyone is using the same client with VS. By that, I mean if the Fortress Enhanced Client was used for binding, then everyone needs to use that with that solution and its projects. If one is switching back and forth, it can make the integration not work.
Beth Kieler

cohowap

Post by cohowap » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:40 pm

1) The XNA layout is similar but slightly different as noted below

--Solution folder
-----|-----.sln
-----|-----project folder 1
--------------|-----.csproj
--------------|-----Content Folder
--------------|-----|-----.contentproj
--------------|-----|-----Content subfolders/pngs/spriteFonts/etc...

2) I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

3) There are 2 of us testing Fortress (using the same acct since you can only use Admin in the trial). Both are setup using the same client as the server version (downloaded from the server page itself). The server is hosted on a Win2008 Server machine. Both of us are using the Enhanced Client, the project was checked in with the enhanced, but still missed the files. We've tried several things and none of them worked, it is a basic install (just clicked through the installation for both client/server). The server is running on a SQL2005 backend.

Also to be more specific, we're working on a Zune XNA project. You might need to include the Zune extensions (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en).

Also, we can't even get the entire project inside source control for it to update properly.
I am doing this by opening the solution and right clicking the solution and going to "Add to source control".

Please make sure you're not using the classic client when adding, that seems to work significantly better. I tried with a normal Windows XNA project and the same thing happens, I am not sure how your's is working. This definatly doesn't work right with the Enhanced Client, I've tried on 3 machines now (2 Win 7's 1 Vista) and got the same results across the board. Is there a way to tell Fortress what files to parse (i.e. include contentproj)?

Thanks for the help

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:55 pm

(using the same acct since you can only use Admin in the trial)
You can make one regular user without putting in any kind of license key. If you would like to test with multiple people, you can get a demo key. Just go to this page, http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/demo.html, and click on the link for getting a demo key, or send an email to sales for a key using the address of sgstore at sourcegear.com.

After you add the solution to Fortress, is everything else added correctly and just the content folder is missing?

In your solution explorer, can you right-click the entry for content and select Add to Fortress? Does it add in then?

If it still refuses to add that way, then try adding it using the GUI client. Then return to Visual Studio, go to File - Fortress Source Control - Change Fortress Bindings. Is there an entry that is not bound listed there?
Beth Kieler

cohowap

Post by cohowap » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:16 pm

After you add the solution to Fortress, is everything else added correctly and just the content folder is missing?
- Correct, everything gets added correctly minus the content folder. The issue I think is the enhanced client looks at the csproj or solution. The reason it doesn't appear to be working is because the content proj is actually inside the csproj and not the solution. So the heirarchy is Sln >> csproj >> contentproj, where I think fortress stops reading the files at the project level and doesn't look for projects within a project.

In your solution explorer, can you right-click the entry for content and select Add to Fortress? Does it add in then?
Yes, if I right click and say "Add" it does add to source control (or at least tries), it never really checks in. It stays in soultion explorer with the + next to it. If you get latest, it's as if that was never done.

If it still refuses to add that way, then try adding it using the GUI client. Then return to Visual Studio, go to File - Fortress Source Control - Change Fortress Bindings. Is there an entry that is not bound listed there? It isn't a bound option here. Only the Sln and the Projects are bindable. The content info is totally missing.

Also, if your trying to repeat this, after checking it in, delete your source folder and get latest via open from source control. That or after checking it in, or adding to solution, look at the client itself, there won't be anything in there. I'd actually like to see a screenshot of it working for you as well as your settings, because I've tried as much as I can think of and it won't work. The Enhanced Client is definatly busted.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Yes, if I right click and say "Add" it does add to source control (or at least tries), it never really checks in. It stays in soultion explorer with the + next to it. If you get latest, it's as if that was never done.
You're almost there though. In VS you have a pending changes window. The add is there, so if you Commit it, it should go in. Give that a try.

If you don' t have a + next to the file, then you need to use the Add to Fortress function again and then do the commit before doing anything else.
Beth Kieler

cohowap

Post by cohowap » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

When I do that I get an error.

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key

The solutuin and the csproj are in vault. The content proj isn't. The +'s are still there and no matter what I do, it wont work.

After I click ok on the error, I get "There were no items to check in."

Also, when I just add all the files to source manually and open from source control through that, the content folder is greyed out as unavailable.

I really think this should be passed to the devs as a defect, I can't see how any justification of this not being one, or something on my end is possible. I've tried about 100 things and nothing works.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:01 am

I think it might help if I can take a closer look. I'm not saying there isn't a bug, but if I get different results, it helps if I can find out why. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

cohowap

Post by cohowap » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 am

What kind of closer look do you want?

I went ahead and checked in 2 samples into the demo server. ZuneGame1 which was checked in using the latest client and ZuneGame2 which was checked in using the client that matches the server version. Both were checked in using the "Enhanced Client" *NOT* the "Classic Client".

Also, here is an image of what a "File>>New>>Project>>Zune Game (XNA Game Studio 3.1)" looks like:

As you can tell, the content folder/project totally skipped. Not only that, I can right click and add a content file without the solution or main cs project getting updated or checked out. This is because the content proj is a completely seperate project.

I can setup a virtual machine and give you remote access, but that will take more time and effort. If that's the kind of look you are looking for then we'll have to figure something out. I'd rather not go that route, as I think we just ahve a little confusion.

Thanks!

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 am

I thought having an online meeting where we can both look at your screen might help.
Beth Kieler

cohowap

Post by cohowap » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 am

I can't set something like that up at this moment. But out of curisoity, can you check a xna project into the demo server with the enhanced client?

That might help me with the issue.

Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:42 am

Ok, I set up a test project and added to our demo server. I have attached a document showing exactly what I did.

If I missed something, just let me know.
Attachments
XNA project.doc
(362 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
Beth Kieler

cohowap

Post by cohowap » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Ok Beth, we're getting on the same page now.

The main issue, we were expecting that Content folder to be checked with the solution folder. This seems like a viable feature that fortress should have. The extra steps seem more of a hack work around to get source into vault.

Ok, now with us being on the same page there. The problem isn't really getting all the files into vault. I was able to get to the point you were at several posts ago. So lets continue to where we see more issues.

1) Delete your local source folder. Make sure no files exist locally including the content folder (this would represent a new developer who hasn't gotten source code yet, or a freshly pulled down branch of code).

2) Open Visual Studio and hit File >> Open from source control.

3) Navigate to the sln file and select it. Once Visual Studio completes loading the solution, notice the content project doesn't exist. I beleive this is because our original check in didn't include the contentproj, or Fortress is unaware to pull source at a lower level than the csproj. Below is an image.

What is the proper way to get this project file opened?

What we would expect from the Fortress product is similar to other products (Vault Classic, Perforce, TFS, etc) where you can seemlesly integrate source control with visual studio. Here it seems like there are to many work arounds and alot of switching between the Fortress client and visual studio. Not only that it raises the chances that a developer isn't working on the latest code.

Hopefully you can see where I am comming from and realize that this isn't one of those things that can be considered low priority just because there is a multi step work around that hardly works itself.