Retrieve Vault login information from Visual Studio

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

pjmartins

Retrieve Vault login information from Visual Studio

Post by pjmartins » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:20 am

Is there a way with the Vault API to read the login information from Visual Studio 2010 used for the current open project which is under Vault source control? ie. when a project is opened, Visual Studio automatically logs you in based on saved credentials or prompts for a password if not saved. Is this log in information accessible via the api for that same project?

lbauer

Re: Retrieve Vault login information from Visual Studio

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:55 pm

If you're using the Visual Studio Enhanced Client, the login information is stored in the user's VsipClientProjectSettings.xml file in the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application data\SourceGear\VSIPSccClient directory. The user name is in the clear, but the password is encrypted.

I don't think this is accessible from the API.

Perhaps if we knew what you wanted to do, we could provide some suggestions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

pjmartins

Post by pjmartins » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:26 am

I am trying to design a code generator as an add-in to visual studio. If the target file already exists, I am trying to check it out so it can be overwritten. I have tried using EnvDTE's SourceControl.CheckOut, but it seems to only work with VSS (throws a NotImplementedException). Is there another way to achieve this?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm

If the main objective is for the file to be writable, you could use CVS mode, which keeps all working folder files writable.

There's also a setting in the client options to Make all files read-only on Get. This setting is in the Vault Client under Tools->Options->Local Files->Make Writable.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager