Issue Upgrading Server from 3.0.7 to 3.19

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

shanebard

Issue Upgrading Server from 3.0.7 to 3.19

Post by shanebard » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:28 am

I have been trying to apply the 3.1.9 update to a 3.0.7 server installation. After repeated testing in my virtual environment, I think I know what the cause of the issue is. Several months ago, I migrated the sgvault database from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005. According to the installation log, during the part where a SQL script is run to update the database version an SQL Exception occurs.

Verifying the SQL Server requirements... User is trying to install Vault to Microsoft SQL version 9.00.4035.00
OK
Trying to get the hashed pw from the db.
Successfully got existing pw.
Requesting Vault Admin user password... Hashing the admin pw
OK
Passwords matched!
Upgrading the existing Vault database...
This may take a long time. Do NOT stop this process!
Checking the installed database version... 3.0.0.4
OK
Putting sgvault database in single-user mode.
Executing commands in vault_upgrade.sql
Read vault_upgrade.sql from our resources.
Upgrading SourceGear Vault database schema...OK
DoSqlCommandsFromFile completed successfully.
UpgradeExistingDB (Vault 3.1 Upgrade) failed:
Database 'sgvault' is already open and can only have one user at a time.:System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException
Putting sgvault database in back in multi-user mode.
Database 'sgvault' is already open and can only have one user at a time.
Vault Upgrade Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = 453
Please press OK to continue installing the Client and Admin Tools (if selected).ExitCode on exit: 453

Sounds like some part of the script contains commands that are compatible with SQL 2000 but not SQL 2005. The only solution I can think of at this point is to migrate the sgvault database back to SQL 2000. Since my database is just over 6 GB, exporting the data back to SQL 2000 will be a long process and may not even work. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Shane

lbauer

Re: Issue Upgrading Server from 3.0.7 to 3.19

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:19 pm

We've seend this error a number of times, and it's not necessarily because you converted your database.

The error mainly says that Vault upgrade failed and you are stuck in single user mode. Try changing the mode to multi-user, and run the installer again.

To do this, open your SQL Server Management Studio, expand databases, right-click sgvault and select properties. Click on the Options link, then scroll down to the last setting on the right side of the window. Change the Restrict Access setting from Single to Multiple and click OK. Now try running the upgrade from Vault 3.0.7 to Vault 3.1.9 again.

Hopefully, it will either upgrade or we'll get a more useful error about why the upgrade failed.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager