Feature request - save comments history

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
ajj3085

Feature request - save comments history

Post by ajj3085 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:03 pm

TortoiseSVN has a helpful feature that when you enter commit comments, it records them. You can then click a button and double click a comment from the list to automatically enter it into the commit comments. It will even record if you type comments by then dismiss the commit dialog (perhaps you forgot to check something before committing).

Would it be possible to do something similar here? It's a small but very useful feature. No need for anything fancy, just storing the data in the user's local profile on the client is enough.

Andy

lbauer

Re: Feature request - save comments history

Post by lbauer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:59 am

Vault does save all items comments and change set comments in history. Checkout or item comments appear in file history and change set (checkin) comments appear in Folder History by Version.

Is this different because of the interface or because it save a selection of comments that you can reuse?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ajj3085

Post by ajj3085 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 pm

[quote="lbauer"]Is this different because of the interface or because it save a selection of comments that you can reuse?[/quote]

It saves comments so that you can reuse them. There's a few things that are different from Vault. One is that I don't need to go digging through history to find some comment; its always a list from most recently entered one to oldest one. Also, to do as you suggest I'd have to close the commit, find the comment in history, open the editor to copy it, close it all up, and bring the check in dialog back up.

Also, it saves comments even if you end up canceling the commit. So I'm ready to commit, have my comments, notice something is wrong and cancel. I can fix whatever is wrong, open the commit again and the comment from the commit I didn't do will be avaible at the top for me to double click instead of retyping.

AjarnMark

Post by AjarnMark » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:54 am

Hi Andy,

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but could not find another way to contact you. As a Development Manager for a company (not SourceGear) that uses Vault Pro, I am curious about your request. My gut reaction is that I wouldn't want my team to reuse comments. I want them to write something new and meaningful on each check-in comment. But perhaps I'm overlooking a use-case where what you are asking for would make sense to me. Would you mind elaborating for my benefit?

If you would like to take this offline, you can email me via my profile here.

Thanks!