Shadow folder problems

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:18 am

jclausius wrote:Latest Vault 2.0.5 (Preview 2201):

Vault Client 2.0.5 Preview 2201

Vault Server 2.0.5 Preview 2201
Has anyone had time to see if this 2.0.5 preview solves their shadow folder problems?

I haven't had any feedback from anyone. Is it safe to assume "no news is good news"?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

KKnoch

Post by KKnoch » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:23 am

Honestly, I don't want to uninstall what we have, reinstall the Preview, then uninistall it only to install the final release. I was hoping you all would test it there.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:37 am

KKnoch:

Yes, we've tested the Preview internally, and the results seem to be positive. However, it would be a nice "extra" to get confirmation from "outside sources" as well.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:11 pm

THe Feedback we received from customers seems to be positive. Look for a Vault 2.0.5 release within the next couple of days.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Jerry R

Post by Jerry R » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:50 pm

Hello, I'm Troy McClure, and you may remember me from such problems as "Vault not working when not logged in".

Seriously, now that the scheduled task problem is fixed and we were able to actually start running the build program, we realized that shadow folders had stopped updating ever since we upgraded to 2.0.5. Not only had they stopped updating, but the shadow folder log file had not been written to since then either.

We tried adding enableLogging=true and classesToLog=all to the web.config on the server machine and to the vault.exe.config there as well. We then updated a file in Vault and on the server's vault.log it says

----08-Sep-04 17:15:28 jerry--rubi1j-xpg.wn.ui.net(10.1.30.52)--SSL Disabled
Calling plugin at location :http://surat/VaultShadowFolder/VaultSha ... rvice.asmx
----08-Sep-04 17:15:29 jerry--rubi1j-xpg.wn.ui.net(10.1.30.52)--SSL Disabled
Successfully called plugin at location :http://surat/VaultShadowFolder/VaultSha ... rvice.asmx

But on the server there is no log file in %TEMP% and the old shadowfolder.log file has not been updated. And the file within vault I checked in has not been updated on the machine being shadowed.

Any suggestions on things to check?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:03 pm

The Shadow Folder log file has moved in Vault 2.0.5.

If Shadow Folders is running under IIS6, then is it safe to assume web.config is correctly configured for identity impersonation or a new App Pool has been created w/ a Custom .Net Account?

If so, the location of the Shadow Folder log file can be found in the .Net Process' account-> Local Settings -> Temp -> VaultShadowFolderService.txt

Assuming there are not a lot of them, you could also try clearing and re-established the Shadowed folders. The admin tool might give you an indication of some sort of problem as well.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Jerry R

Post by Jerry R » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:56 pm

We found the Shadow Folder log file in \windows\temp. The log file indicated that the shadow folder process was running properly, but it did not have access permission to the folders on the build machine. The web.config identity impersonation was working properly before we updated to 2.0.5, and we didn't change anything as far as I know on the build machine or the server other than updating Vault. Here is the relevant line from web.config:

<identity impersonate="true" userName="some-domain\some-user" password="some-password" />

So, we decided to try switching to the application pool method using the instructions you had posted in another thread. Eventually we got this working, although now we don't have a log file - we searched the whole C: drive for it. I have a couple of questions that resulted from this process:

1. What now controls whether there is a shadow folder process log file? The vault.exe.config or web.config?
2. When you say "the .Net process' account", do you mean the account listed in the userName= in the "identity impersonate" line in the web.config? This is the same account we used for the application pool method.
3. When adding a shadow folder, does this have to be done from running admin on the vault server machine, or can it be done from any machine?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:30 am

Jerry R wrote:1. What now controls whether there is a shadow folder process log file? The vault.exe.config or web.config?
The log file can be found in the Shadow Folder - ASP.Net process' %TEMP% folder. So, if the Identity of the service is running under MYDOMAIN\SHADOW, while logged in as MYDOMAIN\SHADOW, typing %TEMP% should bring up the folder containing the log file.

I'm loggin a feature request to allow modifying this setting, so the location can be explicitly configured.
Jerry R wrote:2. When you say "the .Net process' account", do you mean the account listed in the userName= in the "identity impersonate" line in the web.config? This is the same account we used for the application pool method.
Sort of. ASP.Net allows you to configure a web app / web service under any specific Windows based account. This account can be configured by the Application Pool in IIS 6. However, this identity can also be "overridden" by using identity impersonation in web.config. In any case, I am referring to this account.
Jerry R wrote:3. When adding a shadow folder, does this have to be done from running admin on the vault server machine, or can it be done from any machine?
If you want to make sure your permissions are configured correctly, I would recommend making the shadow folder associations on the Vault Server while logged in as the Shadow Folder ASP.Net process' account.

With this method, when browsing for the destination of the Shadow Folders, you will have a good idea what resources are available or not from Shadow Folder's point of view.

Otherwise, if you are not worried about failure due to permission problems, you can make associations from any Admin Tool.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Jerry R

Post by Jerry R » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:14 am

Thanks. Next question is what would make the VaultShadowFolderService.txt file appear in Windows\Temp?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:24 am

Dunno.

Try this:

Open a command line
type echo %TEMP%
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Jerry R

Post by Jerry R » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:29 am

I had logged on as what I believe is the ASP.Net process account and entered 'cd %TEMP%', which put me in D&S\vault-shadow\Local Settings\Temp. This directory did not have the log file in it.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:50 pm

How many local drives are accessible on this machine? Is there a file of that name anywhere?

If you find one, what happens if you delete the file and then try to re-map a shadow folder in the Admin Tool?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Jerry R

Post by Jerry R » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:20 pm

The VaultShadowFolderService.txt file is in C:\Windows\Temp. When I said the log file had stopped being updated when we switched to an application pool, it turned out to be because we had taken out the enable line in the web.config. Putting that back caused the log file to reappear, but in the same odd place (C:\Windows\Temp).

Other than the odd location of the log file, everything seems to be working properly now. If you still want, I can check the number of local drives on the server tomorrow.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:19 pm

I don't think there is a need to. If the Shadow Folder service is running, and the log file is being modified, we'll just leave it at that.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Jerry R

Post by Jerry R » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:51 am

Sounds good. Thanks for the help to get us up and running Jeff.