Delete vs Obliterate

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
BigBrett

Delete vs Obliterate

Post by BigBrett » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 am

A colleague, thinking that "Detect new files to add" would get new files that he did not have in his working folder yet, managed to add over 1000 extra files such as exe, dll, pdb, ncb, etc into a repository.

These we have managed to delete after realising that on my system these added files would have a status of Missing or Renegade. I am now running the Advanced Obliterate Client to get rid of these files and that is taking some time.

It struck me that the files that were added erroneously and subsequently deleted/obliterated all had a version number of 1 in the repository. Would it therefore not be a good idea to have an option that would allow actual obliteration instead of deletion (requiring a subsequent obliteration) when the repository version of something being deleted is 1 (i.e. no possible history other than the Add) ?

Regards,
Brett

Beth

Re: Delete vs Obliterate

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:03 am

I'm not sure I fully understand your question about "actual obliteration instead of deletion." Are you saying you'd rather have all users have an obliterate function in their client for items that have no history?

Even though the items themselves have no history, as soon as they are added, they become part of the history of the tree that you see when you open Vault. Obliterating something that is only at version 1 is still removing a chunk of history.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:28 am

I would like to see a selectable option that says obliterate items being deleted if they are on version 1 rather than the current method of deleting and then having to obliterate afterwards. Items vith a version greater than 1 would be deleted in the normal fashion.

I've just spent hours cleaning up (deleting then obliterating 100's of megabytes worth of files) after the accidental add which would have been saved if this option was available.

Regards,
Brett

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:11 am

I'll put in the feature request. Thank you for your feedback.

Another work-around might have been to restore a backup of your databases if there was one reasonably close to when the user added the files. Then it would be as if the files were never added at all.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support