Extract Files Added Since Label feature...

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
chumble

Extract Files Added Since Label feature...

Post by chumble » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:47 am

Extract Files Added Since Label feature... or have I missed something...?

We're developing and now deploying a fairly large web app/site which is going to need tweaks and bug fixes along the way...

I was experimenting with the VaultPro client last night seeing whether it could assist me.. and it sort of could but it struck me as such an obvious requirement there should be a button for it... (or, like I said earlier, perhaps I've missed something..) ... If I haven't could this be considered as a feature..? Vault Pro has all the capability of doing it but requires fiddling around with 'Show Differences' having remembered to select the website root in the repository, then selecting labels and then clicking away at stuff in the results window .. it just seems too much kerfuffal (and only gives me a report of the differences) for what would be simple task for Vault to accomplish . I would have thought! ;-)

So, ostensibly, I'd like Vault to extract all added/edited files since a Label.. This would then allow files destined for a website to be edited and checked in and then have Vault extract these files into, say, a 'Deployment Folder' comprising all edits/additions made since that Label complete with folders for a quick and simple ftp to a website. Hey, you could even put ftp inside the VP client so long as it was nothing like the excuse of a feature in Visual Studio, or a text file of all the files extracted... :)

Like I've said, perhaps I've missed something in the VP client...

Thoughts anyone ?

Clive

lbauer

Re: Extract Files Added Since Label feature...

Post by lbauer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 am

We have feature request logged 11310 for this functionality; I'll add your vote.

It will be evaluated for an upcoming release of Vault.

For deployment, you may want to check out our Deploy Wizard, which is a power toy, available on this webpage:

http://www.sourcegear.com/vaultpro/vaul ... rtoys.html

Thanks for your feedback!
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

chumble

Post by chumble » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:02 am

Thanks for your time on this. I took a look at the tool but unfortunately it's of no use :-(

From perusing the board I've read a few other posts regarding this issue so I'm guessing it's rather low on the Priority list. Oh well! Fair enough, I guess as you have other goals/features to accomplish.

Our problem now is we have a website comprising some 2,500 files (countless items of which have been tweaked and edited since our last Label (Show Differences by Label only shows 'Different' and not additions so my fumblings with the GUI was to no avail .. :-( )) and I guess I'm going to have to resort to a .cmd file extracting with an XCOPY or something those files with their Modified Attribute set in a working directory.. then filtering out all the files which weren't actually changed but were 'touched' by the OS!! <sigh> ... seems sort of cack-handed given the power of Vault ...

Please please please wink please Buy You An Icecream Please is there any chance of bringing it up the next dev meeting you have...? Please ? It'd be a very useful feature for web developers. (Did I say Please?)..

Kindest,

Clive

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:33 am

Yes, I will mention this to the developers again. You're right, it would be a very handy feature. We're currently working on Vault 6, so any implementation would be after that.

Here's a workaround from another user, using a third-party diff tool:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 1005#31005
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

chumble

Post by chumble » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks again, Linda, I appreciate your taking time with this. I'll take a look at that work-around later.

I thought I'd found another way when I investigated the Show History menu item as at first glance it appeared to show all modifications/additions between a range of dates.

Moreover, when I selected 'Get..' from the results page it prompted me for a directory to 'Get' the files to...

HOWEVER, this only worked when selecting a single file.. selecting all the files, or just two of the hundreds displayed, the 'Get' menu is greyed out!!! (or 'grayed' out if you click on it in the States) ...

<sigh> So close... you know, Vault can almost do this...

So, could this feature simply be extended to handle multiple selections in the Results window.. ?

Thanks once again.

Regards,

Clive (whose 'Get' menu is 'greyed' out here in Blighty!! :) )

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks, I'll add that to the feature request.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

chumble

Post by chumble » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:39 am

lbauer wrote:Thanks, I'll add that to the feature request.
Thanks..

I'm getting by with following up an a work around also mentioned in this forum. I'll mention the steps here in case it helps others or prompts a Vault developer to say '"Blimey, that's easy to implement" and knocks out the required feature over a coffee sometime later today... :wink:

I've written a batch (.cmd) file to
  • (re)create a 'previous' folder
    (re)create a 'current' folder
    (re)create an 'updates' folder
then vault.exe (command line) to
  • Extract a Label to 'previous'
    Extract current state to 'current' folder
then Beyond Compare's script/command line .exe to run a script that
  • loads a 'Session' which is configured to compare 'previous' with 'current'
    copies additions/differences to 'updates' folder
    outputs a report of all files created
from an icon on the desktop.

Once this works satisfactorily, I'll script up the ftp.exe client to upload 'updates' to a server.

A single button in the vault GUI that could simply extract edits/additions since a Label and/or date range/etc into a designated 'updates' folder would be so, er.. 'better' .. !

Regards again to you and the team ..

Clive.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:18 am

Thanks for the details. Yes, a button would be much easier. :)

I've added your new comments to the feature request, workitem 11310.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear