Copy of Source Code in Repository

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
cimmaronholman

Copy of Source Code in Repository

Post by cimmaronholman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:41 pm

I want to make a backup of the entire code base without checking out all the routines. How can I do this?
Thanks

Beth

Re: Copy of Source Code in Repository

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 pm

I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

Backups of the databases can be performed in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) or in the Vault admin web page. If you use SSMS, then make sure you backup sgvault, sgmaster, and sgdragnet.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

cimmaronholman

Post by cimmaronholman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Oh Thank you Beth,
In addition to what I do in SSMS, my supervisor wants me to make a weekly copy of the code base and store that copy offsite (we do that for everything else). I was thinking there is a way to get the code in some kind of format like a text notepad . Please feel free to tell me I am way off the mark!!
Thanks

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:28 pm

You have a couple of different options you could use.

1) Shadow Folders. A shadow folder maintains an updated copy of the latest code. You can have a shadow folder on a different server. Then your server backups would catch the shadow folder, or you could write something to periodically ftp a copy of that elsewhere.

2) Use the Vault command-line client and write a short script to perform a Get of the latest code to some other location. You could combine that with some ftp scripting as well.

3) Use our Deploy power tool to push a copy of code offsite: http://www.sourcegear.com/vaultpro/vaul ... rtoys.html.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about putting the code into a notepad format. As long as it's not a binary file, notepad can open the code file. Vault doesn't have the ability to convert your files to a different file type.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support