All Files in Renegade after Moving Root Folder

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

calexander

All Files in Renegade after Moving Root Folder

Post by calexander » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:06 pm

I got myself into a situation where I needed to pull down a previously checked in version, make a change rebuild based off of that change and deploy the change. That being the case, I:
1. I moved my original root folder for backup
2. I logged into Fortress and pulled down the revision I needed
3. In Visual Studio I opened the solution, made the change, rebuilt the solution and deployed my change
4. I moved my new branch folder for backup
5. I moved my original root folder back to the original location

My employer and users are happy with me fixing the issue, however, when I opened the original solution in Visual Studio, all files were in renegade. I manually fixed the renegade files by going through all of my files getting lastest and overwriting the unmodified renegade files, however, I feel like there is probably an easier way that I am unaware of.

Any suggestions on the proper way I should have handled my issue and/or how I could have synced the unmodified renegade files?

Beth

Re: All Files in Renegade after Moving Root Folder

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:19 pm

For making changes off of older versions, you might consider making a branch of the older version and then performing the change on the branch. You used the word branch in your post, but it sounds like what you did was just move around versions in the same folder in Vault. If you did create a branch using the branch function inside the Vault GUI client just let me know.

If you have a current version of Vault, you might check out our Shelve function. By using Shelve, you can save any changes you currently have on disk without having to check them in. After using Shelve, you would pull down the old version you need to work on, and when finished, you would then unshelve the changes you shelved.

On the issue you fixed, does that need to be checked in? Also, does that fix need to be in the most recent version of your project as well?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

calexander

Post by calexander » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Beth thanks for the great information.

I only moved around folders and did not create a branch.

I will have to look into the Shelve function but it sounds awesome.

I understand that not checking in the fix in the released version is not the best scenario, but we have another build being tested that includes the change. In addition I do not know of a good way to check in that change as the file is already checked in with that change plus others. However I am definitely open for any suggestions.

That being said, do you know why Fortress flagged all of my files as reengage after I moved them?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:23 pm

When you dropped the files into the same location, Vault just saw that something changed about the files. It did not do a CRC compare. Renegade just means some change was made without a check out. If you need to do that again in the future, you might first perform a Get Latest from Vault, then check out and then drop the files back into the folder (that's assuming you have changes).
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support