.NET Website bin dll checkout problem

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
rhj4

.NET Website bin dll checkout problem

Post by rhj4 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm

I have a website with multiple developers working on the same site. The site references a number of DLLs from another project. They appear as DLLs in the website / bin / debug folder.

Every time any developer compiles the site, these dll files get checked out and locked, even though they aren't being modified. This is creating a real problem because each developer must checkin all the files in the bin folder before another developer can make any changes to the site.

How do I configure this so that the DLL files get checked into Vault, but are not checked out by websites that simply reference thise files?

lbauer

Re: .NET Website bin dll checkout problem

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Do these DLLS need to be under source control. Usually, your code is put under source control, but not the products of that code, like .exes or .dlls. Are these third-party .dlls?

Vault is probably detecting a timestamp change on the files, thinks they are modified, and checks them out.

Are you using the Enhanced Client integration?

You could switch to working in CVS mode so that no checkouts are required. That would be in Vault Pro Client options, Tools - Options - Concurrent Development.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rhj4

Post by rhj4 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Yes, the DLLs must be under source control. We have a system that propagates files from development to test to production and it is based entirely on the source control database.

As for concurrent mode, I have never tried it. There are several options I am not familiar with CVS, so I don't know how this would impact our process. The embedded help is not very useful - doesn't tell me much.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:10 pm

In CVS mode, files in the working folder are all writable. When a file is modified, renamed, or deleted, the transaction is placed in the pending change set. The change appears to be made in the client, but is not yet committed to the repository. Transactions like branch, share, and add are also in the pending change set, and must be committed by the user. Generally, items accumulate in the pending change set and then are committed in one atomic (all or nothing) operation.

There are no checkouts or exclusively locked files. Two or more users can work on the same file. If a user has modified a file in the working directory, and another user checks in an update, Vault will give the modified local file a Needs Merge status so you know you will need to merge changes.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager