Export with Obliterate Options

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

msikn

Export with Obliterate Options

Post by msikn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Hello,

I am trying to export a folder from an existing repository in Vault to a new repository. The existing repository has been in use for about 9 years so it is time to restructure our repositories. However, around 7 years ago someone used the Obliterate function on the folder (naively assuming they'd never have to export), and as a result we can't export the folder. However, we really need to keep the history from the old repository in the new repository.

Is there any way to export only a portion of the history, even if it's only the part after the Obliterate was performed? If I can keep the last 7 years of history and only lose the 2 years prior to when the Obliterate happened I will be happy.

What options do I have here?

Thanks,
Kenny

Beth

Re: Export with Obliterate Options

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:14 pm

There isn't a direct way around obliterate at this time, but there might be some work-arounds you can try.

You might be able to export subfolders and specifically avoid the exact folder that holds the obliterate. That still misses some history, but a smaller portion.

Also, if you know of specific versions in the history that you want to keep, such as maybe specific labels, then a shortened history can be manually built in the new location. I can provide more specific instructions if you'd like to go this route.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

msikn

Post by msikn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:00 am

Unfortunately I am working with a single folder so exporting subfolders is not an option.

I also don't have any specific versions that I'm looking to keep, though we do have a long list of labels that have been applied to the folder. If you think the strategy you mentioned will help I'd be interesting in the detailed instructions. However, at this point I think I'm probably going to just start from scratch in the new repository without exporting and just move the folder in the old repository into a new root folder called "Archive" and make it read only. That way we always have the history in the old repository if we need it but all subsequent modifications will take place in the new repository.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:12 am

Your solution would work and you'd still have your history.

Here's how I'd tell someone to build a scaled down history (or even a full history if one really wants to):
a) Open the Vault GUI client, set a working folder on some folder.
b) Perform a Show History and select the option by folder version.
c) Once the list of folder versions comes up, perform a Get on one of the historical folder versions.
d) Close the history.
e) Go to File - Choose Repository and switch the repository.
f) Set a working folder to the same location as you had for the other repository.
g) Go to Tools - Options - Concurrent Development Style and make a note of what your current settings are. Then click the CVS mode button. You can return to your previous settings after the history is built.
h) Add the folder from disk to the second repository.
i) Return to the first repository and the historical folder versions.
j) Choose another version of the folder and perform a Get with overwrite.
k) Return to the second repository.
l) Files that are changed will be listed as Edited. Check in all the changes.
m) repeat actions i - l until complete.

These same actions can be applied to Labels. Instead of a Show History, you would perform a Show Labels and get various label versions.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support