VS 2008 not working

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
davebarkshire

VS 2008 not working

Post by davebarkshire » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:43 am

Hello, we are evaluating vault pro and are using VS 2008. The client has been installed and can connect to the server. However, I can see no way in VS 2008 to attach the solution. There is a new menu item [View-Vault Professional-Work Item Tracking] which takes me to a popup which never populates. When I click on the solution on the VS project explorer there is no optiion to add the solution to vault as shown in the online demo. The vault toolbar is available in VS although all items are disabled. The VS about screen shows that it has the vault libraries.

I have attached some screenshots which may help. I have already un-installed and re-installed and rebooted etc. Do you have any suggestions?
VS_About.jpg
BlankScreen.jpg
RightClickVsSolution.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beth

Re: VS 2008 not working

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:03 am

A process calling Binding needs to happen on the project. There are a couple of different ways to do this. You could 1) Go to File - Vault Source Control - Add solution to Vault, 2) or you can use the Vault GUI client to add the project to it, and go to File - Vault Source Control - Change Bindings to bind the project on disk to the projects in Vault. The process of binding will make changes to the .sln and project files. You will need to check those changes into Vault. Then other users will use the Vault menu to Open From Vault just one time to get the same bindings to their machine. After that, everyone can either use the recent projects links in VS to open their bound project or just open the .sln file from disk.

In our KB article index is a section on IDE Integration with Visual Studio that may help you: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=792. There is also a Getting Started document posted here: http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/documen ... index.html that shows a few of the basics.

If you need more help with the bindings with VS, just let me know.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

davebarkshire

Post by davebarkshire » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 am

I'm not sure if I have something wrong here. There doesn't seem to be a 'Vault Source Control' option in the file menu. I have attached a screenshot of both vault and VS file menus.
VaultFileMenu.jpg
VsFileMenu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:56 am

Go to Tools - Options - Source Control - Plug In. Then select either the SourceGear Vault Classic Client or the SourceGear Vault Enhanced Client. After that, the menus should be visible.
Beth Kieler

davebarkshire

Post by davebarkshire » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:40 am

Here is a screenshot of the tools-options in VS2008. It doesn't appear the be there.
VStoolsOptions.jpg

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:10 am

Towards the bottom of that window is a check box that says "Show all settings." Check that option and you'll see an entry for source control.
Beth Kieler

davebarkshire

Post by davebarkshire » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks. I can bind it now.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 am

You're welcome.
Beth Kieler