Problem adding folders to project

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
cgraus

Problem adding folders to project

Post by cgraus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:13 am

I've create a project in Vault and added the folders I need. When I try to do a check in of all, I get this error:

" An item with the same name or object id already exists in the selected folder."

And sure enough, the check in lists the files in a folder, and the folder itself as a seperate item. It lists some folders twice. I know the files are in vault, in the right place. I just want to get rid of the error and check the files in. How do I do that ?

Beth

Re: Problem adding folders to project

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 am

You should be able to remove the pending add of the folder from the pending change set and then commit the rest to Vault.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

cgraus

Post by cgraus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:46 am

Beth wrote:You should be able to remove the pending add of the folder from the pending change set and then commit the rest to Vault.
The issue is, I want to be able to do a commit all without having to go through and uncheck these items. I've moved the folders in question out of the tree node that I am right clicking on, and some items still show up as needing checking in three times. These are items that are not checked out in their new locations. There's about 20, so it's a real pain if I can't get them off this list.

Thanks for your help.

Just to add, the error I get now is :

The object could not be found. It may have been deleted, moved or renamed.

Indeed I have removed the folder. But, it was never checked out, and it's still showing up in the check in list ( twice ).

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:57 am

Did you have a previous check in attempt fail? If so, then the fail sits in the pending changes waiting. If you try to add again instead of just committing what is in the pending changes, then you will get duplicates.

Did you perform any check ins or previous check ins from inside Visual Studio?

You could try just completely clearing out the entire Vault pending changes window (just select all the lines and press the delete key on your keyboard) and then try performing the add again. A single add should not add multiple folder instances. That can would only happen if there were multiple add attempts.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support