Vault Std to Pro conversion

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
Gary_Berg

Vault Std to Pro conversion

Post by Gary_Berg » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:57 am

I am going to be upgrading my Vault Std license to Pro. I also want to move the SQL server storing the data to another machine.

So let's say my Vault server is called "Vault", and my new SQL server is called "SQL". I'm running Vault Std v5.1.1 on "Vault", and my clients have that version of the client installed. I've got written down a list of what I told the system before when setting it up.

Is there a FAQ that addresses this? Especially with the SQL server change tossed in the middle?

Thanks,

Gary Berg

Beth

Re: Vault Std to Pro conversion

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:05 am

To both upgrade and move at the same time you will:
  • 1) Backup your sgvault and sgmaster databases.
    2) Restore your sgvault and sgmaster databases to the new SQL Server.
    3) Install Vault 5.1.2 Professional. This will look just like your original install. The Install Guide is posted here: http://www.sourcegear.com/vaultpro/docu ... index.html.
    4) Users need to uninstall their Vault 5.1.1. Standard clients and install the Vault 5.1.2 Professional clients. Their previous information isn't transferred over to Vault Professional.
Does this answer what you were looking for, or do you have some specific questions?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Gary_Berg

Post by Gary_Berg » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:10 pm

I assume that to backup and move the databases the easiest method is to detach the databases from the old SQL server, copy to the new one, and then attach them?
Their previous information isn't transferred over to Vault Professional.
This is information like their login, and perhaps the location of the Vault Pro server? I just want to know what information I'll need to dig out to get my users back in...

What about the contents of their Vault cache, and also are their tools to manage that? I know on my system that cache is pretty sizeable...

Thanks.
Gary

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:15 pm

I assume that to backup and move the databases the easiest method is to detach the databases from the old SQL server, copy to the new one, and then attach them?
That should be fine as well. Just make sure you have a backup of some kind in case something goes wrong.

Your users will lose their working folder settings and the statuses on their files. Vault Professional uses a different cache location than Vault Standard. If users have a problem with cache size, they can change the settings in the Vault - Tools - Options - Cache Location. There they can either move the cache or limit the number of baselines kept.

If your users use Vault integrated with Visual Studio, then they will need to rebind their projects to the new server.
Beth Kieler

Gary_Berg

Post by Gary_Berg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:02 am

I was planning to uninstall/reinstall on the same server, so server name will not change, just the back-end SQL server. Will the projects still have to be rebound?

Also, what if a user wants to "zap" their cache. Assume everything checked in. What is the best process?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:43 am

If the same Vault server is kept, then users won't have to rebind their projects.

A new cache is created with Vault Professional, so deleting or renaming the cache wouldn't really have any effect for them. The caches are typically located in %username%\appdata\local\Sourcegear (if on Windows XP it's %username%\local settings\application data\Sourcegear).
Beth Kieler

Gary_Berg

Post by Gary_Berg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:59 am

Given that my machine has a 450Mb cache, I'd like to not leave it behind to take up space in the profile. And, I'd currently like to purge it because that's bigger than all the source code I've got (yes, I know it may contain multiple versions). I've now limited the number of versions retained.

It looked like resetting the cache didn't delete files from the profile.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 am

The reset cache button does not remove the files.

Instructions for removing the cache can be found here: support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11513.
Beth Kieler