Get by Label after demotion gets wrong versions of files

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

luther_miller

Post by luther_miller » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:56 pm

We have a project that was labelled at the root with a new label.
We then demoted some files in a sub-folder so that older versions of those files are associated with the new label. We did not demote any other files - all other files' latest versions are part of that label.

We then did a Get by Label for the new label. Afterwords, many files were marked "Old". These files have newer versions - in fact, we Viewed the new label and verified that the newest versions of those files are in the label... Its almost as if the demotion to the older versions of the other files somehow is internally effecting which versions of additional files are being gotten from the label.

Obviously, we are very concerned about this.

-Luther

jclausius

Re: Get by Label after demotion gets wrong versions of files

Post by jclausius » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:41 am

Luther:

I'm gathering some information here. Can you answer the questions below?
luther_miller wrote:We then demoted some files in a sub-folder so that older versions of those files are associated with the new label.
By demote, do you mean you changed the versions through label promotion?
luther_miller wrote:We then did a Get by Label for the new label. Afterwords, many files were marked "Old".
Viewing one of those files from within the Vault GUI client. What is the repository version of the file? What is the local version? If you go to the same corresponding file within the label, what is its version?
luther_miller wrote:These files have newer versions - in fact, we Viewed the new label and verified that the newest versions of those files are in the label... Its almost as if the demotion to the older versions of the other files somehow is internally effecting which versions of additional files are being gotten from the label.
I'm assuming you did a Get of a Label to a working folder. Do you happen to know what the status was of the files in question before the Label Get?

Or if you do a full Get Latest Version, choosing to overwrite the current files, and then Get the Label over the Get Latest Version, do you get the same results?

Do the files contain the correct content, and their just assigned an incorrect status?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Mina

Post by Mina » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:12 am

Jeff

Please see more information below:

luther_miller wrote:
We then demoted some files in a sub-folder so that older versions of those files are associated with the new label.
J: By demote, do you mean you changed the versions through label promotion?
M: Yes - we selected Show Labels from the root folder, selected the label and chose Label Promotion. For the relevant files we changed the version to an earlier version and the changes were saved successfully.

luther_miller wrote:
We then did a Get by Label for the new label. Afterwords, many files were marked "Old".
J: Viewing one of those files from within the Vault GUI client. What is the repository version of the file? What is the local version? If you go to the same corresponding file within the label, what is its version?
M: The repository version shows the latest version (i.e. 13), the local copy shows a much earlier version (i.e. 5) and within the label it's a file in between (i.e. 9)

luther_miller wrote:
These files have newer versions - in fact, we Viewed the new label and verified that the newest versions of those files are in the label... Its almost as if the demotion to the older versions of the other files somehow is internally effecting which versions of additional files are being gotten from the label.

J: I'm assuming you did a Get of a Label to a working folder. Do you happen to know what the status was of the files in question before the Label Get?
M: They were the most recent files in Vault.

J: Or if you do a full Get Latest Version, choosing to overwrite the current files, and then Get the Label over the Get Latest Version, do you get the same results?
M: Yes, I tried this - I got the latest version of all files into the working folder (and verified this). From the Show Labels dialog (from the root folder) I did a Get... on the new label. Only one of the older files was replaced, and this was shown in the Messages window, but the other three files were not updated to the older versions.
I also tried getting the label to a brand new (empty) working folder but the same happened (only one file was replaced).

J: Do the files contain the correct content, and their just assigned an incorrect status?
M: The content and version numbers correspond correctly.

Also:
1. Our development IDE is NOT set to get the latest version on start up.
2. If we demote files within a project, must we also change the version of the actual project file?

jclausius

Re: Get by Label after demotion gets wrong versions of files

Post by jclausius » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:43 pm

Mina wrote:J: Do the files contain the correct content, and their just assigned an incorrect status?
M: The content and version numbers correspond correctly.
After a Get Label, if the version numbers in the local working folder match the versions found in the label (but are different than the repository's version), then Vault is working correctly. Did I misunderstand your statement?
Mina wrote:Also:
1. Our development IDE is NOT set to get the latest version on start up.
2. If we demote files within a project, must we also change the version of the actual project file?
As long as you did not change the project files within the label, it shouldn't matter what version is assigned in the label. All that matters is that the file is present.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear