Resolve Merge warning dialog

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

GregM

Resolve Merge warning dialog

Post by GregM » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:30 pm

When I was checking on the transaction failed warning, I found that the resolve merge warning was disabled. I remembered that I had invoked Resolve Merge manually recently, and didn't get the warning message that I expected, so I turned it on. A little while later, I used Show Merge in the Pending Change Set. After the merge was complete, I said yes to resolve the merge status, and the warning dialog appeared. Shouldn't this warning only appear when invoking Resolve Merge manually, and not via show merge?

dan

Post by dan » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:10 pm

Since the merge tool is a separate app, the Vault client is merely guessing that the merge happened after the merge tool is exited - it has no good way to know that the user actually merged the file.

The warning is there anytime the merge status is about to be changed by the user. We could differentiate between invoking the menu item directly and asking the question after the merge tool has exited, but it seems like we should error on the side of putting up the warning, to reinforce that resolve merge status is separate from editing the file.

GregM

Post by GregM » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:59 pm

How about two separate switches, so that when I turn it off because it's too annoying to dismiss it every time I use "Show Merge" (which is how I turned it off when I first started using Vault), it will still be on for "Resolve Merge Status".