SOS Locks Up When Checking Out vbproj Files

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gkravis

SOS Locks Up When Checking Out vbproj Files

Post by gkravis » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:28 pm

We have several solutions and projects under SOS source control. Beginning this morning, check out operations (both using the SOS client and in VS.NET) are locking up. One example we have been able to recreate in multiple projects is adding a reference in VS.NET and choosing to checkout the project file on-the-fly when prompted.

Attempting to checkout the same vbproj file using the SOS client hangs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Gary.

corey

Post by corey » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:07 pm

The "beginning this morning" part is what caught my eye. Does that mean that everything was working fine before today? Have there been any known changes in the SOS Server and/or Client environments?

Are there are error messages listed in the server's log file?

Also, what do you mean by "locking up"? Does the client become unresponsive? If you kill the client, can you restart it and reconnect to the server or does the server hang? Do you have to restart the server?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

gkravis

Post by gkravis » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:02 am

"Beginning this morning" means that everything was fine prior to today. However, we had not been in the office working on the solutions since the prior Saturday....so it had been a few days.

There have been no known changes to the SOS server and client environments.

SOS server log file shows no error-type entries in its log.

"locking up" - Yes, the client (VS.NET/SOS client) become unresponsive. The mouse pointer is stuck as an hourglass. We are able to recover from this situation by killing the client process and reconnecting. We find that the msproj file is checked out and that it can be unchecked out without error. However, attempting to check it out again starts the cycle all over again. Through all of this the SOS server has not needed to be restarted. However, the physical SOS server machine was rebooted (without incident) the morning this all began.

corey

Post by corey » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:16 am

Let's try to narrow it down by sticking to just using the SOS GUI Client for now, instead of working within VS.NET (since VS.NET adds its own complexities on top of everything). It would even be best for now if you could exit VS.NET when attempting to use the GUI Client just to make sure that VS.NET isn't holding any locks on the files, etc.

There's two facts right now that don't make sense given how SOS works, so I want to verify them first:

1. Every check out attempt on a .vbproj file using the SOS GUI Client causes the Client to hang.

2. Every check out attempt on *any* other type of file using the SOS GUI Client works without any problem.

Are those two statements correct?

Also, let's look at some of your option settings. Are you using keyword expansion? Are you allowing multiple checkouts? Have you changed any of your options from before when things were working properly?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

gkravis

Post by gkravis » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:05 am

(1) Yes, every attempt to check out a vbproj fails.

(2) sln files fail check out as well. Other file types *do* succeed, such as sql, vb, xml, gif, vsd, etcetera.

Mind you, in both vbproj and sln cases, despite the hang, close, and restart of the SOS client, the check out appears to have been done. We are able to undo checkout without incident.

Keyword Expansion: yes.
Multiple checkouts: no.
Changed options: no.

corey

Post by corey » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:06 am

In that case, as a test, let's try this:

1. Take one of your existing .vbproj or .sln files and make a copy of it and give the copy a .txt extension. Then add the file using the SOS GUI Client and see if you can check it out.

2. Then create a new text file that simply has the characters "hello" in it and nothing else, and name it test.vbproj and then add it source control using the SOS GUI Client and see if you can check it out.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

gkravis

Post by gkravis » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:20 am

Thanks for all your help. We're hopeful that a solution is soon at hand.

(1) We did your test with a .vbproj file. It was added, checked out, and unchecked out using the SOS client without any problems.

(2) Same result as above -- everything worked as expected.

The .vbproj and .sln files that are giving us trouble are shared and pinned in another project. I don't know if this is related, but thought it might be good information for you. We did some additional testing with a .vbproj that is not shared or pinned and it worked OK. We also did a test with a .vbproj that is shared but *not* pinned and it worked OK, too.

-Gary.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:54 pm

gkravis wrote: The .vbproj and .sln files that are giving us trouble are shared and pinned in another project. I don't know if this is related, but thought it might be good information for you. We did some additional testing with a .vbproj that is not shared or pinned and it worked OK. We also did a test with a .vbproj that is shared but *not* pinned and it worked OK, too.
Are the other files in the project, aside from the .vbproj and .sln files, shared and pinned too? Or not?

As a test, can you temporarily unpin the problematic .vbproj file in the shared folder and see if you can then check it out?

gkravis

Post by gkravis » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:23 pm

Yes, there are other pinned files in the project. However, the sln file is not shared or pinned.

As a test I unpinned the .vbproj file and attempted "check out" using the SOS client. No effect (i.e. still hangs SOS client).

As a further test I unshared all files in the project and attempted "check out" using the SOS client. No effect (i.e. still hangs SOS client).