How to avoid storage of _sgbak in the working folder?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

HansMerkl

How to avoid storage of _sgbak in the working folder?

Post by HansMerkl » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:04 pm

Hi,

I am trying to use Vault for my website. The data is in a folder tree that gets traversed whenever a user requests something.

Now the problem is that each time I modify a file and check it in, Vault creates a folder called _sgbak in the working folder. This additional directory also gets traversed and subsequently the web site doesn't work properly.

Can I configure Vault in way that _sgbak doesn't get created or at least outside the working folder?

Thanks

Hans

dan

Post by dan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:42 pm

By default, Vault backs up files that are either edited or unknown before overwritting them, and it backs them up in the _sgbak folder. Unfortunately, you can't currently specify a different location for the backup folder, but you can turn it off so that it doesn't back the files up at all.

Go to Tools->Options->Local Files and uncheck "Save files in backup folder before overwriting"

HansMerkl

Post by HansMerkl » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:35 am

Dan,

Thanks. That should work.

Hans

mwoffenden

specify a different location for the backup folder

Post by mwoffenden » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:56 am

Will there be an option for this in the future?
Michael D. Woffenden, Founder and President, Information Results Corporation

dan

Post by dan » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:27 am

This is on our list, but we don't have a targetted release for it yet. We'll add your vote to it though.

matzen

Post by matzen » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:13 am

add +1 for me

Snowdevil

Me too

Post by Snowdevil » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:01 pm

Add my vote for this as well. It's actually quite annoying having a gazillion little _sgbak folders everywhere. I understand the importance of the job they're doing, but surely this job could be done from one base folder instead? I just had to go through a project structure in Visual Studio without about 300 folders and manually exclude each _sgbak folder one-by-one from the project. Very very tedious. It's also annoying went you want to upload a web folder structure because you have to either put up with an irrelevant set of _sgbak folders in your production environment or somehow work out how to exclude them from the upload.

I am totally in favour of a single [ProjectRoot]\_sgbak\[EVERYTHING GOES HERE][/i]

stephen

sgbak causing problems?

Post by stephen » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:45 pm

You shouldn't ever include sgbak folders into a websolution. so then if you deploy from the ide to another webserver sgbak folders are irrelevant.
I don't find sgbak folders problematic. They server a very good purpose.

dsellers

Use Unleash It

Post by dsellers » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:37 pm

There is a program called Unleash It which will FTP your files to your webserver and has easy to use filters that will filter out those _sgbak folders. you can find it at http://www.eworldui.net/UnleashIt/

Sean Malloy

Post by Sean Malloy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:06 pm

You can always make a copy of the webapp, into a new location, do a search for "_sgbak" folders in Windows explorer, and delete all of them in one foul swoop. Then deploy the copy of the version. Pretty easy

Sean Malloy

Post by Sean Malloy » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:08 pm

Oh and +1 vote for me for specifying the location of the _sgbak folder. I'd set it to C:\TEMP, which I wipe on boot.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:18 am

Vault 3.1, due out later this spring will let you choose where to store the Vault client cache files and the _sgbak folder.

You'll also have the option NOT to save files in the backup folder. The state or baseline files (_sgvault) will need to be either in the working folder or the client cache folder.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager