Permissions with VS2013

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

hraylong

Permissions with VS2013

Post by hraylong » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:41 am

We have been using Vault for a while but all the developers use the GUI client because the IDE they use does not support integration with source control. We are starting to use VS2013 with Vault Integration. I have several project I created then added to repositories. I have Full Admin for the repository and have RCA rights to the created solutions folders. There are others who need to access these project. They also have Full Admin to the repositories and have RCA rights to the created folders. When they open the solution from the Vault in VS2013 all the items have a lock symbol next to the source items and it will not let them access, change, check out etc. I am at a loss. I assume it is something we did wrong but don't know where to start. The GUI client shows the same status for those users as VS2013. What should I be looking for address this issue?

Thanks

Beth

Re: Permissions with VS2013

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am

The locks next to the items in the solution explorer just means they are not checked out. Right-click an item and select Check Out. Then the item should be editable.

Also, when users are opening the project for the first time, they should
1) Go to Tools - Options - Source Control - plug in and select the same plug in you used for adding the solution to Vault.
2) Go to File - Vault Source Control - Open from Vault to open the project the first time. That will set the bindings properly for them.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

lbauer

Re: Permissions with VS2013

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:19 pm

This user called with more information. The user had CVS mode (edit-merge-commit) configured in the Vault GUI Client, while his colleague had VSS (checkout-edit-checkin) mode configured. So one user had green icons and writeable files in Visual Studio, while the other user had the blue locks and read-only files.

We changed the settings for his colleague so both users were in CVS mode.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager