Create a branch based on Vault Item tracking status

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
vijai

Create a branch based on Vault Item tracking status

Post by vijai » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:47 pm

I would like to create a branch with code base of only selected checked in files that have passed testing We track all the work using Vault Work items and every check in is associated with an associated vault item. If the work item is under development, then it has the status of "3. Under development". When those files are checked in, the developers will associate the vault item and set the status of "4. Ready for testing". My main goal is not to get anything under development in the new branch.

I would appreciate any ideas you can provide to create and merge the branch using command lines if it has any command line switches to do this operation, or programmatically creating the branch ..

Thanks
VJ

Beth

Re: Create a branch based on Vault Item tracking status

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Just to make sure I understand correctly, if you check in 3 files into a folder that might have 100 files, you want the new branch to only contain the 3 files and nothing else. Is that correct?

What is the purpose of such a branch?

Will that branch be kept around forever or deleted eventually?

How often will branched like this be created?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

vijai

Post by vijai » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:40 pm

I may have asked the question too soon with out having clear thought about it. I am thinking of a branch setup for creating release packages with stable code ready for testing. I can create the new branch manually one time but going forward i want to update it with the check-ins from the trunk associated with a vault item of status 4 or more.
From your example of the 3 files checked in, 2 may be associated with a vault item of status 3 (means developers are still working on but they just would like to get the code saved to source control) and 1 check in with status 4 of another vault item. So in this scenario, i would like the update only one file in the branch with status 4.
I am sure you will have more questions as most of it does not make sense for me either. Please let me know if you have any questions. We have Continuous integration in place already but would like to have an environment setup for continuous deployment.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:09 pm

It's fine to create a branch and to merge any trunk changes into it. Vault doesn't have the ability to involve work item tracking in it's merge decisions. What might help is if users include the status in the comments of their check ins.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support