Vault 10 CPC on MacOS Sierra

Moderator: SourceGear

jcopella

Vault 10 CPC on MacOS Sierra

Post by jcopella » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing/running the new Vault CPC client (version 10) on my Mac, running MacOS 10.12 (Sierra). I've noticed the following:

1. The link to the version 10 CPC for the Mac downloads a package that appears to have a version 9 installer. Not sure if this is deliberate or an oversight.

2. Given #1, I did go ahead and try to install, and ran into issues with the JDK installation on Sierra. I received the prompt to install the legacy Java 6 JDK. I did that. I then went to the Oracle site and downloaded the most recent JDK (version 9). Now when I try to start the CPC I get a message saying that the CPC won't run with Java 1.6, that it requires 1.7 or greater. It's as if the JDK version 9 installation is recognized.

Thanks in advance for any help.

p.s. Our company is in upgrading its Vault Server to version 10 this weekend, so I do need version 10 of the CPC.

jclausius

Re: Vault 10 CPC on MacOS Sierra

Post by jclausius » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

1) The README files have the incorrect version. That has been removed from the README and updated in the downloads.

2) Those instructions might only apply on older versions of OS X. I'm not sure the "Java 6 error" comes up any more on El Capitan (10.11) or later. Are you saying it did come up on your machine?

If you open a terminal window and type 'java -version', what is displayed?

I'm uncertain the state of your machine right now. Here are some other links that may help:

"Why should I uninstall older versions of Java from my system" - https://java.com/en/download/faq/remove ... rsions.xml

And here's a link to the different versions of Java JDK - https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java ... #javasejdk

Installing Java JDK (Java 8') on Mac OS X - https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/t ... c_jdk.html . Perhaps the instructions listed there may help with the configuration.

Installation of the JDK and the JRE on macOS - https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/instal ... FA90F02D57
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:47 am

The prompt about the Java 6 stuff is that a reboot would be required after installing the JDK.

However, that is not the good news. It appears as if Java 9 changed some of the dependencies in the packages and/or classes shipped with the release release of the JDK. So, at this time, Vault 9 and Vault 10 will only work with Java 7/Java 8.

Are you using Java 9 or only installed it for use with Vault? If you do not require Java 9, uninstall it, and download and install the Java 8 JDK (update151). If you still require Java 9, you can edit the vault-cpc.ini file (found inside the vault-cpc.app directory in vault-cpc.app/Contents/MacOS/vault-cpc.ini, so you'll have to 'Show Package Contents' on the app), add the following lines BEFORE the "-data" line:

--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
128m
-vm
/path/to/java/8/jdk/bin

-data

For example, the vault-cpc.ini on my Mac is file is as follows:

--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
128m
-vm
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_151.jdk/Contents/Home/bin

-data

Java SE 8 JDK can be found on a link here - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... downloads/
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jcopella

Post by jcopella » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 am

jclausius wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

1) The README files have the incorrect version. That has been removed from the README and updated in the downloads.

2) Those instructions might only apply on older versions of OS X. I'm not sure the "Java 6 error" comes up any more on El Capitan (10.11) or later. Are you saying it did come up on your machine?
Yes, it did.
If you open a terminal window and type 'java -version', what is displayed?
At that time (I've since upgraded to Java 8 ) it would have said Java 1.6.

Thank you for the additional links.
Last edited by jcopella on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcopella

Post by jcopella » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 am

jclausius wrote:The prompt about the Java 6 stuff is that a reboot would be required after installing the JDK.

However, that is not the good news. It appears as if Java 9 changed some of the dependencies in the packages and/or classes shipped with the release release of the JDK. So, at this time, Vault 9 and Vault 10 will only work with Java 7/Java 8.

Are you using Java 9 or only installed it for use with Vault? If you do not require Java 9, uninstall it, and download and install the Java 8 JDK. If you still require Java 9, you can edit the vault-cpc.ini file (found inside the vault-cpc.app directory in vault-cpc.app/Contents/MacOS/vault-cpc.ini, so you'll have to 'Show Package Contents' on the app), add the following lines BEFORE the "-data" line:

--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
128m
-vm
/path/to/java/8/jdk/bin

-data

For example, the vault-cpc.ini on my Mac is file is as follows:

--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
128m
-vm
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_151.jdk/Contents/Home/bin

-data

Java SE 8 JDK can be found on a link here - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... downloads/
Thank you -- this was helpful.

I don't require Java 9 for anything, so I just downloaded Java 8 from the link you provided and edited the Vault .ini file as you suggested. Worked like a champ.

Thank you!

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:49 am

That is very good news. I'm happy to see that you're now up and running.

Thank you for using SourceGear Vault.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear