Auto Search change from v6 to v10

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:52 am
I used the Search pane all the time in Vault 6.

Here the search pane would update every time I changed the location in the repository tree.
In Vault 10 I can't seem to get this functionality? I can make a search, but it does not follow the location in the repository tree.

I really hope that it is just something I've missed somewhere...

ADDED:
I can see that you have made a "Run Last Search on Selected Folder" menu item, ... in panic...
How do I run this automatically?

-cpede
-cpede
(Vault Standard 10.0.1.793)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 am
Yes, Search behavior was changed in Vault 9.0. I'm sorry this affected your workflow. The continuous search functionality was an expensive option for users with large or deep folder trees. We would have users experiencing slowdowns from the background search without realizing the cause. So continuous background search was eliminated. Also, as noted, starting with Vault 10 the Search operations were refined to invoke the last search settings on the currently selected folder by simply using Shift+F3 or from the selected folder's context menu.
Joe Ream
SourceGear Technical Support

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:27 am
You are right this actually affect my workflow and efficiency a lot when using the new Vault (now after 3 weeks of test). The background search gave me the full overview of the status of the current folder and sub-folders. And files and folders are exactly what you prefer to use when working with Vault (in contrast to e.g. Git which primarily work on tasks).

I would really appreciate a check mark in the search properties to lock on the current folder and do an automatic background search, just like in v6. Then people with huge databases can just choose to ignore this.
-cpede
(Vault Standard 10.0.1.793)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:23 pm
When you say "lock on the current folder", do you mean to "stay put at what is Now the current folder even after I move" (which was Vault 6's behavior when you checked "Lock onto this folder" or do you mean to "synchronize the search root with my current folder as I move around the tree"?

Note that in Vault 10, if you start a search at say c:\a\b\c and check "Automatically refresh every 1 minutes", the search will refresh from c:\a\b\c every minute no matter where you move to on the tree. But if you then hit Shift-F3, the search root will immediately be reset to your current location and a new search will be initiated.

I've logged a feature request to bring back this functionality. (F:19967)

Thanks,
Joe Ream
SourceGear Technical Support

Return to Support (Vault)