DiffMerge 4.2.1 for Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

jclausius

DiffMerge 4.2.1 for Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)

Post by jclausius » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 am

If anyone is having issues with DiffMerge on Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit), we have a beta version you could try. Please download, install, and report back any problems.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sj_6QH ... sp=sharing
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

PMaff

Re: DiffMerge 4.2.1 for Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)

Post by PMaff » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 pm

I tested diffmerge_4.2.1.817.beta_amd64.deb and was able to install it on Ubuntu 18.04.1
after installing libcurl4.

But German Umlaute äöü, ÖÄÜ are not displayed correctly.

Is there some setting for this?
I tried Tools->Options-> Rulesets -> Default Ruleset with
Unicode 8 bit (UTF-8)
Unicode 16 bit (UTF-16) (Alt 1)
Unicode 32 bit (UTF-32) (Alt 2)
but this did not work.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am

The easiest thing to do is to ensure your files contain the correctly encoded byte order marks (BOM) at the beginning of the file, so DiffMerge can automatically detect the character encoding.

However, in the case BOMs are not there, the ruleset matching depends on the file's extension. What is the extension of the files you are comparing? Do those extensions match the ruleset's file suffixes? When the files are loaded, if you click on the "Change Ruleset" menu item, does the Choose Ruleset dialog show you the ruleset that should match those files?

----

For those interested in Ruleset configurations, I'm providing some sample files that can be downloaded/extracted for testing. For these examples, please configure the following:

1) In the Options/Preferences, go to Rulesets. On the Custom Ruleset below, edit the "Text Files" Ruleset. If you click on the "Name" properties you should be able to see, when DiffMerge opens files ending in "txt" or "text", this ruleset will be used. Choose "Character Encodings". Leave the "Search for Unicode BOM" checked, and change the Fallback Character Encoding option to be "Ask for Each File". Click OK.

2) Next click on and edit the UTF-8 Text Files ruleset. If you check the "Name", you will see extensions of "utf" or "utf8" will be used. Back on the "Character Encodings" property, verify the "Search for Unicode BOM" is checked. And also change the Fallback Character Encoding option to be "Ask for Each File", and Click OK

3) Close the options dialog, and DiffMerge

Now, try DiffMerge against umlaut-1.txt and umlaut-2.txt. These files have no BOM, but do contain umlauts. DiffMerge matches the extension on 'txt', and should prompt you for the character encoding. Select "Unicode 8 bit (UTF-8)" and click OK. The files should now be displayed with the correct character encoding showing the umlauts.

Next run DiffMerge against the umlaut-bom-1.utf and umlaut-bom-2.utf files. These files have the UTF-8 BOM at the beggining of the file. Also, the UTF-8 Text file ruleset should be matched due to the 'utf' extension on the files The files should now be correctly displayed. And although the setting is for Ask for Each File, since the BOM was found in the file, DiffMerge skipped that and went right to opening the files with the instructed character set.

As an exercise for the reader, you can remove or change the test file extensions and modify the default or create other Rulesets as you see fit.

Explore the different Ruleset file extensions and character encoding options to choose the one best for your environment.
Attachments
umlaut-utf8-bom-files.zip
utf8 (with bom)
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 938 times
umlaut-text-files.zip
text files (no bom)
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 935 times
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

CDBingham

Post by CDBingham » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:17 pm

I am having a problem installing diffmerge_4.2.0.697.stable_amd64.deb on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (64-bit). After downloaded and opening in the Ubuntu Software app, I click install and It says it’s installing. However, it finishes quickly and gives you the button to install again.

After downloading diffmerge_4.2.1.817.beta_amd64.deb from the link above; it finishes the install and opens. It’s my first time using the program and is part of a tutorial. It opens and merges the code. The only bug I can find is when you try to check for updates you get this error.
A Content Error Occurred
A content error occurred while loading update information:
Error: invalid zip file

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:31 am

Thank you for the feedback. I have logged the issue. For future reference - DM:20005.

Thanks again,

Tonya

robc

Post by robc » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:44 am

On Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (focal) the diffmerge_4.2.0.697.stable_amd64.deb linked from the the download page fails to install with this message:

Code: Select all

diffmerge : Depends: libcurl3 (>= 7.16.2-1) but it is not installable
             Depends: libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4) but it is not installable
The 4.2.1.817.beta release posted above did install without errors, but running it gives a warning:

Gtk-Message: 15:52:45.787: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
This command fixed that issue for me:

sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module