Issue with same/equivalent files

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

sv1cec

Issue with same/equivalent files

Post by sv1cec » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:49 am

Using DiffMerge 4.2.1 on Mac OS 10.11.6.

When I ask for a folder diff, I see files marked as different, which when opened show the message that files are similar or equivalent. My Preferences are set for Exact Match or Ruleset-based File Equivalence Testing and the two buttons in the folder diff window (Show Equal and Show Equivalent Files) are pressed. Still, I am shown files as different which when opened are equal or equivalent.

I just want to see files which are different.

I never had that problem with the previous DiffMerge versions I was using.

Thanks for your help.

joe_sg

Re: Issue with same/equivalent files

Post by joe_sg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:52 pm

I think you've got your polarity reversed. Pressed buttons mean "Show Equivalent Files."
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to hide them.
Try it with the buttons unpressed and see if that works.
Joe Ream
SourceGear Technical Support

vegeta897

Post by vegeta897 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm having the same issue. I have selected 2 folders for comparison, and I am given a list of files that are highlighted red, with the ≠ symbol next to them, but when I open them to compare, the message says they're identical. I do not have the "Show Equal" or "Show Equivalent" buttons pressed. When I press them, it does show more files which are not red and have the = symbol next to them. But when not pressed, there are many red not-equal files which turn out to be identical when opened.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 am

Hello,

We are having trouble reproducing the problem. Would you mind emailing some screenshots and possibly some file examples to support@sourcegear.com?

Also, please send along the Diffmerge version you are using along with your operating system.

Thanks,

Tonya

vegeta897

Post by vegeta897 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using 4.2.0 x64 on Windows 10 Pro

I've determined that the issue is triggered by differing line endings.

When one file uses CRLF, and the other uses LF, the folder comparison list will show a difference but upon opening a direct comparison between the 2 files, none will be detected.

How can I edit my options to make line endings ignored in the main folder comparison window? I already have enabled "Ignore/Strip All Line Termination Characters" in my ruleset for Line Handling and Folder Window Equivalence Settings.

Edit: I figured it out, I did not enable "Allow Default Ruleset" in my equivalence mode options.

Sorry for the fuss :)

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:30 pm

Glad to hear you've figured it out!

Tonya

clapptrapp

Post by clapptrapp » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Hello - I have exactly the same issue - all files in the compare folder are marked with the error sign and when I click in them to compare, I get the message "the files are the same...".

I reset all options to default and according to this comment....;

@vegeta897 " I figured it out, I did not enable "Allow Default Ruleset" in my equivalence mode options.

I looked in the options but I don't seem to have this option anywhere. I can't seem to find where to adjust the settings "Allow Default Ruleset"

I looked in all options, including under Rulesets. I am running version 4.2.0
Thanks

vegeta897

Post by vegeta897 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 am

clapptrapp wrote: I looked in the options but I don't seem to have this option anywhere. I can't seem to find where to adjust the settings "Allow Default Ruleset"
In the DiffMerge Options window, there's a "Folder Windows" category on the left, and under that Equivalence Mode. On that page there's a box to check to allow the default ruleset. You may also need to increase the file size limit option right under that box.