Vault Extension for VS2019 is extremely glitchy

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Alex Batura

Vault Extension for VS2019 is extremely glitchy

Post by Alex Batura » Sun May 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi,

I am using Vault Extension for VS2019 and it becomes unbearable to use. There are few issues which are especially annoying:

1. It automatically adds files to the solution.
I have a subfolder for the one of the projects, which is created at compile time.
Vault adds it with its content to the solution for some reason.

2. "Locate existing Project" form has buttons cut out at the bottom and therefore, unusable.

3. My solution file gets unbound for no reason from time to time.

I use Vault for many years and VS extension was very reliable. Unfortunately, this latest one for VS2019 is a flop.
I can't believe I am the only one experiencing these issue.

Please let me know if there is a way to address those bugs.

Tonya

Re: Vault Extension for VS2019 is extremely glitchy

Post by Tonya » Mon May 06, 2019 10:25 am

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with VS 2019 and Vault extensions.

We have a few questions for you:

1) Were you using the classic client before switching over to the Vault VS extensions for 2019?

2) What type of projects are you using?

3) We are unfamiliar with the "Locate Existing Project" button. Can you please send us a screenshot of this feature cutoff?

4) Would you be interested in uploading an example project to our public demo server so we can try to reproduce the issue? If so, please let me know and I will provide you with further details.

Perhaps you could email this information over to support@sourcegear.com?

Thanks,

Tonya

Alex Batura

Post by Alex Batura » Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi Tonya,

Thank you for your reply.
Please find the answers below:

1) Were you using the classic client before switching over to the Vault VS extensions for 2019?

No, I didn't use VS2019 until Source Gear Extension was made available.
However, I am still using SourceGear Vault Standard Visual Studio Enhanced Client with VS2015 on my PC as well VS2019 with its latest Vault extension installed separately.

2) What type of projects are you using?

It's a complex solution. Which is a mixture of .NET Core Web API, .NET Standard and .NET Framework projects.
One .NET Framework project, has its output path changed to the subfolder of .NET Core Web API project.
It's a MEF plugin and I've changed it's output for the convenience. Those files aren't part of the solution.
However, they are added to the project by Vault client from time to time.

3) We are unfamiliar with the "Locate Existing Project" button. Can you please send us a screenshot of this feature cutoff?

I can't reproduce this exact scenario without spending too much time on it.
Yesterday, my solution file got quietly unbound whereas rest of the solution was still bound.
I added another project to the solution and then bound the solution file.
Once I tried to add a new project to the Vault (commit changes), I got prompted with the Vault screen to Locate project in the Vault. Unfortunately, I didn't take a screenshot.

4) Would you be interested in uploading an example project to our public demo server so we can try to reproduce the issue? If so, please let me know and I will provide you with further details.

Please find a demo solution attached. I changed output of the ClassLibrary1 to "..\ConsoleApp1\Plugins\"
When you rebuilt the solution, you'd see Plugins subfolder appeared in the ConsoleApp1 project and if solution is added to Vault, Plugins folder and files in it will appear in the Vault Pending Changes
Attachments
VaultDemo.zip
Demo Solution
(326.78 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Thank you for sending over a demo project. We are currently looking into the issue and will be getting back in touch shortly.

Tonya

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed May 08, 2019 11:36 am

Alex,

With the demo project you sent over, when we build the solution we see "Plugins" gets added under the ConsoleApp1 project by Visual Studio. In turn, Visual Studio instructs Vault to add this to the repository.
To prevent it, Within Visual Studio, if you bring up the context menu for "ConsoleApp1\Plugins" within in Solution Explorer, then click "Exclude from Project", and then use the option to delete the files from Source Code Control, the items are removed from the Pending Checkin pane and Visual Studio no longer tries to add them to the Vault repository. This will need to be done for all your projects you are having the problem with but only once.

Please let me know if this doesn't resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Tonya

Alex Batura

Post by Alex Batura » Wed May 08, 2019 5:59 pm

Thank you Tonya!

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon May 20, 2019 3:38 pm

We're glad to see removing the project from the solution / project resolved the issue.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear