Using same key for intranet and internet

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

bastian

Using same key for intranet and internet

Post by bastian » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:21 pm

Hi All:

I travel a lot and 75% of the time I connect to my company ssoffsite server through the internet, while the rest of the time 75% I use the intranet.
So you get a better idea of my situation I'll give you an example.
My ssserver is in USA in address 65.1.1.1 and my user name is "doe".
In order to start working through the internet out of my office I add a user key in the server: "doe","65.1.1.1", I import the key in my ssclient and I can start working through the internet.
Now I go back to my office and the server is the same but I can not use the internet address, I have to use the intranet access, this IP is 192.1.1.1, so what I have to do is to remove the "doe","65.1.1.1", and add a new key "doe","192.1.1.1" and import that key in ssclient.
When I want to start working out of the office again I have to remove the 192.1.1.1 key, create a 66.1.1.1 key and import it.
As you can imagine this is tiresome and error prone so my question is:
Is there a way to have a "doe" key valid for two different IP's? or is there a way to connect to the same server from the internet and from the intranet without changing keys?

Bye

topcats

Post by topcats » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:25 am

I too work remotely a far bit.

I have found that by using DNS entries instead of IP addresses you can get arround this problem very easily.

Setup an external domain name for the 65.1 address first, then create a local internal address that points to the 192.1 address.

Or you could always connect to the 65.1 address, even from internal but have a route setup internally, to repoint the 65.1 to 192.1 address.

T

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:05 pm

Here's another thought. When you're in the office and working on the LAN, do you still need the security of encryption? You could use the unsecure port of the SOS Server.

The port could be open only to users on the LAN. You wouldn't need an encryption key for the unsecure connection.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager