CPC on Mac OS 11 Beta blank window

Moderator: SourceGear

craigr

CPC on Mac OS 11 Beta blank window

Post by craigr » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:54 am

I admit to pushing the envelope but I kinda need Vault to work on my Mac running the OS 11 beta. When I launch the CPC I get the login prompt, then once I log in I get the repository list, then once I choose the repository I get this:
If I touch the window at all, I get a spinning beachball forever. If I don't touch anything, nothing happens. I let it run all night last night thinking maybe it was downloading the initial project tree but in the morning, still the same.

Java version appears to be 8, JDK 14.

Any ideas?

Tonya

Re: CPC on Mac OS 11 Beta blank window

Post by Tonya » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 am

Hello,

When experiencing this issue, which chip are you using? Intel or ARM?

Thanks,

Tonya

craigr

Post by craigr » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:57 am

If I were using the ARM chip, I wouldn't be allowed to say.

If your advice is different depending on the processor, it might be a good idea to discuss both, in case someone who is under an NDA is experiencing this problem

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:15 am

Hello again,

We are currently working on setting up a test machine with the MacOS 11 Beta on Intel. We will then investigate how the Vault CPC runs on this Beta OS and follow up with any updates in regards to this platform in the next few days.

Thanks,

Tonya

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Hello again,

I wanted to get back in touch with you to provide you with an update. We have been able to reproduce the problem you are reporting. We are currently researching into why the foundation libraries do not seem to be working correctly in a Mac OS 11 environment.

Tonya

craigr

Post by craigr » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:08 pm

Thanks for the update. Good to hear it's not just me. There's hope. :-)

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:02 am

Apologies this is taking longer than anticipated. I can report it isn't a JDK version issue, as the issue is still present with previous JDKs as well. I'll update this thread with updates as they come along.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

craigr

Post by craigr » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 am

I appreciate the updates.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:07 am

Well... I won't have a solution any time soon. Recently, Eclipse Foundation accidentally changed some "native" app features that were used to build Vault without first checking with users. I'm going thru bug channels to find a work-around. Wanted to update you on the situation.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

craigr

Post by craigr » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:56 am

Ugh. Well it is what it is.

Perhaps electronjs.org would be a good cross-platform solution. Microsoft used it for VS Code. But like you need to rewrite Vault. :-)

I also tried the CLI but couldn't get it to work either. That might be completely different reason for failure. Any chance that would be a path worth spending time on?

Craig

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:27 am

Electron would be a non-starter as it would be a complete re-write. Still actively working with the Eclipse Foundation crowd. Still making progress on what's changed between versions, so that's good news.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:18 pm

OK. It is definitely an Eclipse issue right now. It looks as if some bugs have been logged with the Eclipse foundation. We'll monitor. If they get something done in a pre-release, we'll try to build with a pre-release version and see if we can get you a private build from that.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:34 am

We've integrated some new changes from Eclipse Foundation regarding macOS 11 Beta. Can you download and try this private build of Vault Standard to see if it works on BigSur? Please report back your experience.

<REMOVED... SEE POST BELOW FOR UPDATED LINK>

Let us know the results.
craigr wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:56 am
Ugh. Well it is what it is.

Perhaps electronjs.org would be a good cross-platform solution. Microsoft used it for VS Code. But like you need to rewrite Vault. :-)

I also tried the CLI but couldn't get it to work either. That might be completely different reason for failure. Any chance that would be a path worth spending time on?

Craig
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

craigr

Post by craigr » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Got my Mac mini with M1 chip and came here looking for an update. It was only then that I saw the post with a private build to try. Not sure why I didn't get notified of the new message back when it was posted. I tried downloading and Mac OS says the file is corrupted.

Can we try again or get an update on progress now that Big Sur and Apple Silicon-based Macs are present in the wild?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:08 pm

Sorry, I didn't clarify in that original post. That build was for intel macOS Big Sur (whatever beta release at the time). I thought it would work with Rosetta2. I'll do some investigating to see what's up with those binaries.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear