Workflow ?

If you are having a problem using Dragnet, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

chrisg

Workflow ?

Post by chrisg » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:35 pm

I just started using dragnet. I haven't used the Vault integration piece yet, but I have a few questions.

We are using antiquated Applix for our project management suite, and it is horribly slow and outdated. We would like to replace it, and we are wondering if dragnet fits into our model. Our process is as follows:

1. A QA or Triage person creates an item and assigns it to the lead developer.

2. The lead developer then assigns it to the developer who is responsible for that part of our application.

3. Once the assigned developer believes he has fixed the bug, he marks it as "Ready for QA."

4. The "Ready for QA" item shows up in reporter's "bin."

5. The reporter then closes this bug if it has been fixed or reassigns it to the developer if the issue has not been resolved.

In Dragnet, I see no way to define a workflow like this. The only option Dragnet gives us, it seems to me, is to have the developer remember and reassign the bug to the reporter once they believe it has been fixed. (and vice versa if the reporter wants to reassign it to the developer.)

Am i missing something here? I know SourceGear uses Dragnet internally, and I was wondering just how they use it to manage the project/QA/Development process.

Thanks!

cg

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:32 pm

Our workflow is something like this:

One of our team logs a bug. It can be QA, Tech Support, a developer, etc.

We assign the bug a category. Each category has a "dev owner" -- a developer who's responsible for that category. All bugs/features, etc for that category are automatically assigned to that developer. They can reassign if necessary.

After the developer fixes a bug, they change the status to "Completed." Then one of our QA staff verifies the fix. The reporter of the bug is not necessarily the one to verify the bug fix.

Sounds like you'd like an option to automatically assign the bug back to the reporter when it has a "completed" or "fixed" status. Is that correct?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

chrisg

Post by chrisg » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:41 am

That is correct.

I would like to be able to automatically re-assign a bug to its reporter when its status changes.

djMax

Post by djMax » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:54 am

I might suggest implementing this as a client side Javascript function if you want it before they can get to it... It wouldn't be hard I don't think, and that's one of the great things about the architecture, that you can do that...

chrisg

Post by chrisg » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:25 am

Do you have more information about how I would go about doing this ?

Thanks,
cg

kellyb

RE: Workflow?

Post by kellyb » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:18 pm

client-side javascript? I'm not sure what you have in mind, but would like to know more.

I too would love to see some workflow-like capabilities or maybe "Item-State Rules" would be a better way to describe what I have in mind.

On my projects, a great deal of time is spent by multiple people asking as an "Bug/Issue Dispatcher"... which is extremely inefficient when 9.9 out of 10 times you want an Bug/Issue to default to a particular person for a given state (i.e. IF Status == 'Open' || 'Reopened' || 'Unresolved' THEN assigned = 'Developer A'; IF Status == 'Fixed' || 'Not Reproducable' || 'Not Clarification' && Category == 'foo' THEN assigned = 'SME A' ).

This is needed especially an Offshore scenario where SME's and Testers are on one content / timezone and Developers are on another.... and communicating the state of the union is a full time job.

Being able to define condition based "actions" at an Item level on Item event would be invaluable. I think I know how I'd implement it. Can you send me the source code ;)