Visual Studio getting confused

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kev@gemsoft7.com

Visual Studio getting confused

Post by kev@gemsoft7.com » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:50 am

I'm using Vault Standard with Visual Studio 2022 (17.3.4) and some files in my project are not showing as being added to the vault. Using the Vault tool itself shows them. Trying to Add to Vault and Check-in from within Visual Studio gives a " Item <Filename> caused the transaction to fail: An item with the same name or object id already exists."

How do I resolve this confusion?

Tonya

Re: Visual Studio getting confused

Post by Tonya » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:48 am

Hello,

It sounds like the files already exist in Vault since you can see them using the Vault GUI Client. So you should not try to add them within Visual Studio because they already exist. Do you know how the files were originally added? If your local files haven't been modified, I would suggest doing a "get latest" of the project within VS and then attempt to check them out. If this doesn't help, please provide us with additional details and perhaps some screenshots.

Thanks,

Tonya

kev@gemsoft7.com

Re: Visual Studio getting confused

Post by kev@gemsoft7.com » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:06 am

I've been reading the documentation and came across this note:

"Working folder file status values my be erratic if multiple users have configured the Client to use the same working folder, or if the same directory is a working folder for more than one Vault repository."

I suspect this might be the case here. This folder is being used by two repositories: one for the code and the other for the configuration. It certainly explains why things are erratic. I'll restructure and see if that fixes things.