Vault 2.0 Server Install Problem

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

RickStrahl

Vault 2.0 Server Install Problem

Post by RickStrahl » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:38 pm

Hi,

I'm want to test Vault on my server and I downloaded and ran the installer there. I've already tested on a local box which works fine, but wanted to compare with the live setup I'm planning on using.

However on my server I get a failure with a very meaningful error message:

Code: Select all

Updating Vault Configuration...OK
Looking for websites on this machine...
	Found website - 'West Wind Technologies'
	Found website - 'MauiTouch'
	Found website - 'FoxCentral'
You chose to put Vault on website: 'West Wind Technologies'
Creating the Virtual Directory, VaultService...Already Exists.
Creating the Virtual Directory, VaultShadowFolder...Already Exists.
Index and count must refer to a location within the string.
Parameter name: count
Vault Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = 0
This is a retry, but the same error occurred on the first pass of the installation.

Any ideas what the problem is and how I can get around it?

+++ Rick ---

dan

Post by dan » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:12 pm

The first step is to look in %temp%\vault_install.log, and see if there is anything meaningful in it.

Also, we'll need complete configuation information - which OS, what versio of IIS, whether it is the default web site, is SQL on the same machine, etc.

rstrahl

INstallation Failure

Post by rstrahl » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:24 pm

Hi Dan,

Here are the last few lines of the log file. It all seems to go well until I select the Web Site for installation.

Code: Select all

Entered SetInstallationSettings().
Exit SetInstallationSettings() success
Entered GetServerBindings()
Exit GetServerBindings()
Entered MakeUrl()
	We have a host: www.west-wind.com
	Machine is named: westwindweb
	Full machine name is: westwindweb
Index and count must refer to a location within the string.
Parameter name: count
Vault Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = 0ExitCode on exit: 0
Running IIS 6, Win3k with .Net 1.1 installed and up and running a number of apps there. AppPool security is set to System and I used the SYSTEM option for Vault.

Let me know if there's something else you need...

+++ Rick ---

Julien Ellie

Post by Julien Ellie » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:48 pm

I have the exact same issue. Tried a lot of things. I just can't install this program.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:28 am

We are looking into this now. Each of you may want to send me contact info so I can email you to get more info (just click the "email" button below my profile to send it to me).

Thanks,

bmschkerke

Post by bmschkerke » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:38 pm

I had this problem when installing onto my machine. It was configured for a domain name of <blank>, machine name SRV4-IS. What's happening is that the parse URL method you're using is bombing out because it expects to find a '.' in the name of the machine when it retrieves it.

(i.e. HostName.IndexOf( '.' ) == 0 )

The solution I used was to change my machine name to "srv4-is.netcotitle.com". That worked flawlessly for me.

The bigger problem comes after you've set this up. I had a problem where, after running into this error, my SQL Server security options was defaulting to Windows Auth but every control was locked out. I had to remove the temporary directories and uninstall my prior version completely in order to bypass the locked controls.

Good luck.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:41 pm

Yea, this is a dumb bug on our part. We plan to have a patch release out this week with an updated installer that works whether the hostname is fully qualified or not.

rstrahl

Post by rstrahl » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:25 pm

Hmmm... I don't think that's it, because on my local box that I tested originally on the machine name is a simple name as well. Not the hostname anyway...

+++ Rick ---

bmschkerke

Post by bmschkerke » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:20 pm

Last edited by bmschkerke on Tue May 14, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rstrahl

Post by rstrahl » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:53 pm

<g>

Domain Suffix is blank. This Server is just a single workstation (my notebook actually running Win3k) so there shouldn't be any other domain info coming in, but then I'm not sure.

We'll know anyway when Dan doles out the patch... But, I trust you. Honest <g>...

+++ Rick ----

shodson

Me too

Post by shodson » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:41 am

I'm having the same problem on Win2K on IIS 5, latest MS service packs, SQL 2000 Server, running as administrator. I'm installing it on a named host like "sub.domain.com" so I'm not sure if that's the problem for me.

Here's the last few lines of my install log

Creating a new Vault database on (local)...
Using collation: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
Making sure we don't have a user login still hanging around.
Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list.
Vault Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = 0ExitCode on exit: 0

But I can see http://myhost/VautlsService

But when I try to install the Admin tool I get "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

???

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:47 am

Does your %temp%\vault_install.log look like it fails in the same location as Rick's (rstrahl).

"The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" message means the machine thinks the admin tool is already installed. By default, it is installed with the server, but since that failed, it is probably in a half-baked installation state.

Try uinstalling the server via Add/Remove programs. If that doesn't work, follow the instructions in a freshly posted KB article at

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=310

A patch release is on the way with a fix. If you send me your email, I can send you a preview of it soon so you can verify it addresses the install problem.