How to delete a comment?

If you are having a problem using Dragnet, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Perry

How to delete a comment?

Post by Perry » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:28 pm

I clicked the Use Html checkbox and pasted in some html, and submitted my comment (I didn't see any preview option), and it came out terribly -- the html is not being rendered at all, so the comment (and really, now the entire item) is nearly illegible.

So I need to delete that comment.

How to do this?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:28 pm

Comments can be deleted by the user who posted the comment and Admin users.

To delete a comment, click the delete icon associated with the comment. This icon will only be displayed for users who are allowed to edit the comment. You will be asked for Delete confirmation. Deleting a comment cannot be undone.

For more info, see: http://vaultdemo.sourcegear.com/dragnet ... em_Details

Perry

follow-up

Post by Perry » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:24 pm

Ah-ha, the delete button was hidden offscreen -- because of it dumping all the html tags out to the screen, the comment was really wide, and I had to scroll the inside scrollbar. Its really quite cumbersome, with the inside and outside vertical scrollbars (due to my other posted bug) and with the inside horizontal scrollbar, I can't actually see any comment text at the same time as the delete comment button (because of all the whitespace it is rendering, presumably from the html source), so I have to take it on faith that I'm clicking the correct delete comment button :(

That is, if I sroll the inside horizontal scrollbar far out to the right so I can see the delete comment button, then scroll the outside vertical scrollbar up to where I can see the button, then there is no comment text visible to confirm I'm on the correct comment.

In fact I just did it, but, I still see the messed up comment -- so I'm not sure if I deleted the wrong comment. As I say, the item is rather illegible due to this html comment (& the double vertical scrollbars).

Is there anything for me to do, but to just keep trying to delete comments until I hit the right one?

Is there any way to back up the text in the item, lest I lose any more comments trying to delete the messed up one?

So, now I'm a bit afraid to try pasting in any html -- is there any preview button like forums often have, to first see if dragnet can render the html, before committing the comment?

Perry

editing failed

Post by Perry » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:36 pm

I tried measurements on the vertical scrollbar to find the comment, and then tried hitting the Edit Comment button and unchecking Use Html and deleting all the text and putting in a note (saying comment removed because dragnet cannot render html), but I got a result:

Error

The data provided was invalid.

So, now I'll try just deleting it, but, why couldn't I edit it?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:03 am

Upon editing a comment, you will need to click on the "Update" link on the upper right.

Is it possible you clicked the Submit button at the bottom of the page?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Perry

re: deleting

Post by Perry » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:36 pm

>
Is it possible you clicked the Submit button at the bottom of the page?

Very likely that was what I did, and why it didn't go away.

Perry

What html is safe?

Post by Perry » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:08 am

So, how do I know what html I can use safely?

I don't want to wreck another item comment section.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:46 am

Most people use html in the content for URLS and text formatting - stuff like lists, or bold font and italics etc.

You should be able to use pretty much any html safely as long as you use it correctly (make sure to use the proper ending tags).
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear