SQL Server crash on import

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Vadim

SQL Server crash on import

Post by Vadim » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:24 pm

When importing one particular project from VSS, I have stable crash of SQL Server 2000 (8.00.760) under win2k sp4:

process_commands: Process 54 generated fatal exception c000005
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process

then:

The Scheduler 0 appears to be hung.

at which point sql server is dead, even stopping its service fails.

Import Tool successfully imports all other projects. This one is probably the largest.

I read "tips for successful import" and put all recommended settings, with the only exception being one machine for everything - sql server, VSS database, and Vault.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:15 pm

We haven't had other reports of SQL Server crashing during the import. Is there anything different about this project besides its size?

Are there any useful error messages in the SQL Server logs or in the Windows Event viewer?

Could you send me a copy of the Vault import log from the Import Tool directory?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Vadim

Post by Vadim » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:13 pm

here's two typical logs attached.

The full text of event log entries:

Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0
process_commands: Process 58 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

Error: 17883, Severity: 1, State: 0
The Scheduler 0 appears to be hung. SPID 0, ECID 0, UMS Context 0x2D833740
Attachments
Desktop.zip
(2.08 KiB) Downloaded 1284 times

Vadim

Post by Vadim » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:17 pm

regarding the project being different: I can think only about the size. The project has only 3 files; one of them being Access database about 10 MB in size; 22 stored versions since 2002.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:51 pm

Vadim,

The last lines of both import logs are this:

Code: Select all

Checked in $/PIMS	($/PIMS/PIMS.adp) at 5/20/2003 2:36:34 PM
Change set type: Modified
Adding to transaction: $/PIMS/PIMS.adp - F:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\tmp65D.tmp
VSS Database closed.
It looks like the SQL is dying on the same version of the same file. Can you log in to the half-imported Vault database, check out PIMS.adp, replace it with the VSS version from 5/20/2003, and check it in? It's a shot in the dark, but I don't have any real idea why SQL would be dying like that.

Vadim

Post by Vadim » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:56 am

Yes, that's what I actually did - only checked in the latest version. Thought you guys might want to investigate.

Maybe the problem is in the machine - it's not exactly a powerhouse - AMD K6, 380MB RAM.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:03 am

memory does seem to be a likely culprit. It's possible that SQL server is trying to swap something into memory, but can't because the import process and server are taking up too much memory. As an aside, do you have the "Boost SQL Server Priority" option checked? It may be causing problems as well. A link to this blog article surfaced recently on the Vault mailing list.

http://blogs.msdn.com/michael_platt/arc ... 72360.aspx