some basic questions

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

bkrasnof

some basic questions

Post by bkrasnof » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi, we're about to purchase Vault but was wondering:

* Is it tested/certified for use on Windows 2003 and IIS 6? I'm guessing yes since the server specs said "and above".

* Is SSL encryption used by default, I'm told I don't need any 3rd party SSL certificates installed on our Vault server?

* The firewall guys will be asking me which ports to allow for incoming/outgoing or both. Any KB doc that would have this info?

* Any gotchas regarding the documented installation stuff..I saw some posts regarding incorrect file permissions post-install or something.

thanks,
Bruce

dan

Re: some basic questions

Post by dan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:32 pm

bkrasnof wrote: * Is it tested/certified for use on Windows 2003 and IIS 6? I'm guessing yes since the server specs said "and above".
Yes, Vault support both Windows 2003 and IIS 6.
* Is SSL encryption used by default, I'm told I don't need any 3rd party SSL certificates installed on our Vault server?
This is entirely controlled by IIS, so the default depends on what your IIS settings are. You don't need 3rd party SSL certs, but if you don't have one, a warning will be displayed when you connect, that can be turned off for a given client.
* The firewall guys will be asking me which ports to allow for incoming/outgoing or both. Any KB doc that would have this info?
The normal http ports (80 for non-ssl, and 443 for ssl), but these can be configured in IIS to anything you want.
* Any gotchas regarding the documented installation stuff..I saw some posts regarding incorrect file permissions post-install or something.
Most installs go without a hitch, but occasionally there are issues of one kind or another. See our knowledge base index at http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=792 if you run into any troubles.

Thanks,

bkrasnof

thanks for the info

Post by bkrasnof » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:39 pm

Dan,

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and order a SSL certificate then for the server...I'm assuming this will encrypt all client-server conversations.

Is there a real thin client or is Vault web based? It sounds like the 'client' is a .net windows application that consumes web services off the server...but not sure.

thanks,
Bruce

dan

Post by dan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:17 am

Yes, SSL will encrypt all communications between client and server.

And, yes, we do have a thin web client, but it isn't very functional. It is mostly a way to read individual files and version differences. You can't check out or checkin files from it.

bkrasnof

ssl

Post by bkrasnof » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:40 am

Dan,

That's ok, I think we're fine with the thick client. Do I just "force SSL encryption" in the Default Web Site properties on the Vault server prior to installing Vault?

I saw this in the installation guide but wasn't sure what I had to do outside of the Vault Admin tool: "Use the SSL option only if IIS is configured to use SSL".

thanks,
Bruce

dan

Post by dan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:57 am

Yes, that should do it - it is controlled by IIS, so there isn't anything you need to do on the Vault side, other than specify SSL when connecting. You might want to also verify that you can't connect if you don't specify SSL, just to make sure IIS is setup properly.

bkrasnof

thanks

Post by bkrasnof » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:58 am

Thanks Dan, no more questions, finally.

I'm excited to get off Sourcesafe finally and look forward to using Vault. Hopefully I'll get the green light to purchase this week.

thanks for your help,
Bruce