"Comment" column in "Pending Change Set"

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Thomas Linder Puls

"Comment" column in "Pending Change Set"

Post by Thomas Linder Puls » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:02 am

Hi There, the "Comment" column in the "Pending Change Set" does not always (if ever) show the correct value.

It is especially confusing, if you have just set the value explicitly using the "Comment" toolbar button (in which case the changed is not reflected in the "Comment" column).
Thomas Linder Puls
Visual Prolog www.visual-prolog.com

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:48 am

The comment column is for item comments (which can be set through the context menu for each item). The comment button in the toolbar sets the comment for the change set, which is stored separately from each item comment.

The item comments are sent to the server, one for each item if it has one, on commit/checkin. The change set comment is also always sent, but only once per transaction. I believe the server stores both permanently, but when viewing history for a file, any item comments will be displayed in favor of the change set comment. Any tree objects that don't have an item comment will have the default change set comment displayed. Having item comments allows one to commit all changes as one transaction, but still attach different comments to different items.

The tooltip on the toolbar button says "Edit change set comment", the context menu says "Edit Item Comment...", but we should probably make some UI changes so this is clearer.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

Thomas Linder Puls

Problem misunderstood

Post by Thomas Linder Puls » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:36 am

I already know everything you say. I am reporting a bug, not something confusing or something I do not understand (I am very clever :wink:).

The problem is: The column in the "Pending Change Set" does not show the correct value.

If you set a comment using the button you (and I) mention the column still shows the old value.
Thomas Linder Puls

dan

Post by dan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:52 am

The comment column in the pending change set currently only shows the "Item comment", not the "change set comment". In fact, its title should probably be "item comment".

However, just so I make sure I understand: Are you saying that this column should contain the "change set comment" if the "Item comment" is empty? That is probably a good idea - in that case the column title should remain "comment".

If you are saying that changing the "change set comment" should also change all the "item comments", then I would disagree with that - the reason there are item comments are so that an item can have a different comment than the overall change set comment, so I don't think it would make sense to for it to overwrite.

Thomas Linder Puls

Post by Thomas Linder Puls » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:11 pm

Ok, perhaps I did not understand all the details (so maybe I am not that clever after all).

Hopefully, I got the right picture now:
  • Each item has an individual comment
  • The individual comments can only be edited from the context menu
  • There is also an overall comment for the complete "change set"
  • The toolbar button edits the "change set" comment
I think the following GUI changes would have helped me:
  • There should be two toolbar buttons: one for editing the "change set" comment; one for editing the selected item comment (disabled when none is selected, of course)
  • The "change set" comment should also be directly visible
Thomas Linder Puls