Overwriting files that are checked out.

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

LooijH

Overwriting files that are checked out.

Post by LooijH » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:26 am

When I get new versions (recursive) from SourceGear Vault (version 2.0.1) my checked-out files are overwritten. I have selected the option 'Prompt when overwriting files' in Tools-Options, but no prompt is being displayed. These files however, are backed-up in a backup folder, so my work is not gone, fortunately! Is this a (known) bug in SourceGear Vault? I'm working with Microsoft Developer Studio .NET 2003.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:39 am

There are two options that control this behavior. From Visual Studio, go to Tools->Options->Source Control->Scc Provider->Advanced

This will bring up the Vault options dialog (also available from the Vault GUI client, at Tools->Options). Changing options in the GUI client won't affect the IDE client until VS is restarted.

From the options screen, click the Local Files pane. Check the option to prompt before overwriting modified files to be prompted on what to do when a locally modified file is about to be overwritten.

Also, the "Modified working copy" option says what to do by default when encountering a locally modified file. If your option there is set to Overwrite, then it will overwrite modified files on a Get. The factory default is to attempt a merge on your modified file, so that any changes from the server will be put into your file, yet your changes will remain in the file too. If it can't merge the changes (because of conflicts), it will leave the local file alone, and change its status to Needs Merge.

There is one exception to all this, and that is if your file is Unknown (Vault did not retrieve it), it will be overwritten (but backed up). An Unknown file doesn't have a baseline, so it can tell whether it has been modified locally or not.