Merge failure

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Scott Aitken

Merge failure

Post by Scott Aitken » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:06 pm

While trying to do a merge using Vault v2.0.0, I am repeatedly getting the error message "Attemped to Retrieve Files Failed" in the Merge Branches dialog.

During the course of the wizard, I have checked "Attempt Automatic Merge", have no Move/Share ops, no rename ops, and get to a screen announcing "Please wait while files are being retrieved from the server", followed shortly by the aforementioned error. Proceeding from here I get a list of "Add, Deletes, Edits" which shows a number of files marked "Merge...".

If I then continue, I arrive back in the Vault client and most, but not all of the files marked "Need Merge" show no differences. Other files which should show changes do not. I suspect that this situation is due to the file retrieval failure.

The branches are multi-level directories with some new directories and files in the origin branch.

It appears that if I select a sub-tree that has no folders that are not common to the target tree that the merge will succeed.

Any help here would be appreciated as I'm not wanting to have to individually merge each sub-folder.

Thanks

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:17 pm

Does the messages pane in the GUI client have any indication of why the file retrievals failed?

One thing you could try is to make sure you do a full Get on both trees in the GUI client - perhaps that would reduce the need to get the files during the Merge Branches operation?

In any case, it would be good to try to reproduce this here. Can you send me email with more info on your tree and the operations that took place in each branch (perhaps provide some history output)?

Thanks,

Scott Aitken

Post by Scott Aitken » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:26 am

No indication is given as to why the file retrevial fails, just that it has. In fact, from the way that the wizard continues, it wasnt clear to me the first time through that it was even a serious error.

Full get's had been done on both the origin and the target.

Since my first post, I have been able to successfully complete the post by ensuring that all folders and files added to the origin after the branch were present in the target prior to starting the merge.

I'm sending you some history via EMail.