Working offline

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Billy

Working offline

Post by Billy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:41 pm

What is the right way to use the Vault GUI client if the network is down
1) before login to Vault?
2) after login to Vault?

I would like to continue to work (check out, modify files) in either scenario. And what is the right way to check in the changes once the network is up?

I couldn't found anything concrete regarding this from Help and on the forum. Thanks for help.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:41 am

The Vault GUI client doesn't have "work disconnected" mode.

Nearly every operation calls the server, and if that's unavailable, the operation will fail.

If files are already checked out, you can edit them directly in the working directory (but not from the Vault Edit command). You can undo a checkout if you choose the option to leave the current file as is.

You can also edit files in the working directory without checking them out first (make them writable). The file status will be Renegade. When you get a network connection again, you can check out the file, choosing the option to Attempt automatic merge or Do Not overwrite/Merge later.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:19 am

Billy, as long as you start Vault while you can still reach the server, you can browse through the tree, see file status, do a difference to the last version you retrieved from the server. Basically, you can work with all the data that the client has cached. This is really helpful when you don't require checkouts before editing, and just make files writable on your local machine. It allows you to continue to get some work done until the server is available again.

I previously requested the ability for the Vault GUI client to start up to this same state when the server can't be reached.