Comments by Name...

If you are having a problem using Dragnet, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Chris Bean

Comments by Name...

Post by Chris Bean » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:23 pm

We are using Vault for our Development, and are in the process of evaluating Dragnet as the preferred Bug Tracker.

So far so good. The Integration is a benefit, but I do have one question:

How do I get Comments made by Name (who made the Comment)? Because of the volume and volatility of our testing environment we need to be able to Track this. I can't find a way (yet) using the UI.

The customisation options provided are very useful, but is there any plan to extend the capability? Even an add-on DB Report Generator? All the info will be there in the Server...?

Thanks.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:04 pm

Currently Dragnet does not have the ability to filter on "commented by" names. I have added this as a feature request.
The customisation options provided are very useful, but is there any plan to extend the capability? Even an add-on DB Report Generator? All the info will be there in the Server...?

What type of customization and reporting would you like to have?

We do currently have a feature request logged for the ability to define more custom fields. We also have requests logged for reporting to/importing from a spread sheet (or csv, text file etc).
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

Chris Bean

Post by Chris Bean » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:55 pm

Appreciate the quick response.

It would be slick to have the integration more intimate so that shared or accessible information from either system can be used in Drop-down lists etc. Not critical, just nice.

The lack of Comment by Name Tracking may drive us to look at an alternative. When the feature is introduced, we can then benefit from the integration capabilities...

Thanks again.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:35 am

While we do not have a report generator, there is no reason you couldn't write your own SQL queries to gather information from the Dragnet database.

Would that help you gain the information related to user comments?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:32 pm

Your reply is a bit ambiguous.

Do you mean to say "why not" give the SQL Query a try? If so, you can find comments in the messages table, and can join to users on uid to get the user login / name. Something like

Code: Select all

SELECT u.login, m.posted, m.content FROM sgdragnet.dbo.messages m INNER JOIN sgdragnet.dbo.users u ON u.uid = m.uid WHERE m.posted >= DATEADD(d, -30, GETUTCDATE()) ORDER BY u.login, m.posted
would retrieve the posts for the last 30 days.

Using the vast number of report generators available (Crystal, MS Reporting Services, Query Analyzer, etc), you should be able to gather the information you are looking for, tailored exactly for your specific needs.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear