vault can't handle two checked out trees at once?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mike

vault can't handle two checked out trees at once?

Post by mike » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:10 pm

Vault appears to have a major limitation - it can't handle two copies of the same tree for the same user simultaneously.

I have one copy of a tree on my local disk. None of the files are checked out, but its bound to the repository.

Now I want to make another copy of the same tree, be able to make different modifications ot this copy.

Even though I'm logged in as the same user, I want vault to manage these two trees as though its just two developers working on the same tree.

Unfortunately, when I go to checkout the second tree, I get into an infinite loop of Vault popup windows.

What I did was:
From VS.NET, "Check Out From Source Control"
Specified my tree, with a new directory on my local disk
It prompts me asking if its okay to creat ethe new directory on my disk. I say yes.
Now I get into an unending loop of dialog boxes titled "Get Latest Version" where I have to specify whether I want it to overwrite, do not overwrite/merge later, or automatic merge.
I keep clicking "overwrite", but I keep getting this dialog for what appears to be every single file in my tree.

I don't have the patience to click 500 times through this stupid dialog when a) it can't possibly be overwriting because there are no files in that directory yet. Even if it does want to prompt me, why does it prompt me for every single file with no way to just click "yes for all"?

Looks like it can't handle even the basics.

mike

Post by mike » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:13 pm

I notice in the Vault Client that when I right click on my tree, there is a menu option to "Set Working Folder".

So looks like the thing has a static global to set only a single working folder for each user???

Sorry I'm ranting - its now taken me an hour to try to figure out how to do a checkout. I can't even count the number of times I've had to kill the VS process in order to get out of a vault-dialog-loop.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:10 pm

Are you using VS.Net 2003 or 2002?

I'm assuming you mean "Open From Source Control" rather than "Check out from Source Control"?

If so, this seems to work OK for a sample case here. Are you using a web project?

If it is asking you to overwrite files, are you specifying a folder that already has your project in it? If so, specify one that doesn't. Open from Source Control is intended to go to an empty folder.

Yes, Vault restricts you to one working folder at a time, although it will keep state in both if you want to switch back and forth. However, if you are wanting to work on two copies at the same time, why not Branch them in Vault (if you need source control on both), or disconnect one from source control (if you don't need source control on both)?

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:29 pm

VS.NET 2003.
Its a local project, not a web project.
You are right - its "open from source control".
The directory on my disk was a non-existent directory. It even prompted me about whether I wanted it to create the directory for me. I clicked yes, and then got into this loop...

Its totally repeatable. I couldn't get anything to checkout. Finally, I had to just click "OK" about 300 times to get my sources out.

I'm trying to emulate CVS behavior. I have the CVS style checked. And i recently also checked "Prompt before overwriting locally modified files" from the Options "Local Files" menu. I suspect this latter flag is the culprit - but it definitely was NOT overwriting any files, yet it prompted me over and over again. I tried this about 20 times, before I finally just clicked-through it all. So I'm certain that the directory didn't exist before I did this operation.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:10 pm

Not sure if this will work on not, but it could be worth a try:

Rather than doing Open From Source Control, invoke the Vault GUi client and reset your working folders to the other locations on disk where you want to work on your second copy of the project. If you added the project through the IDE, it probably set working folders for each project, so you'd have to reset all the projects. Then do a Get Latest from the Vault GUI client. Finally, invoke the solution from the new working folder, and hopefully the bindings will be happy.

mike

still loopy

Post by mike » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:14 am

Whenever I try to use the UI, it goes loopy on two different machines. I don't know why. I just get into a never-ending loop of "Get Latest Version" dialogs.

I tried your suggestion of going through the Vault Client, and that seems to have worked.

Now how do I get VS-IDE working?

In general the Valut client seems pretty smart. For example, it knows what files are pending checkin based on what is *different* about the file. In VS-IDE, it seems to cache a flag or something based on whether you have "checked it out". In VS-IDE, I can checkout, then modify, then do "undo checkout", and the flag in the IDE goes back to the lockbox - like its unmodified. But my changes are STILL THERE!!! Worse, clicking "Get Latest Version" does nothing - there is no way to get back to a "good" version of the software.

The Vault Client, by contrast, seems smarter. Its able to figure this out.

These details are a big deal - as they lead to bad builds, broken checkins, etc. Maybe you should consider removing the IDE integration. It does not work.

Mike

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:16 am

Regarding undo checkout in the IDE, take a look at this thread:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... o+checkout

Regarding the endless Get Latest Dialogs, it's quite possible that the IDE is telling Vault to request each file one at a time. Clicking the "Only show this dialog when the shift key is down" checkbox should hide that from you.

If you choose "Overwrite" on a get latest, your local file will be overwritten.

For more on Get Latest options, check out:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=162

mike

thanks

Post by mike » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:41 pm

I found the option on the undo. I think you should change the default. The way its set right now causes people to lose work. Its totally unintuitive. Given the other people having the same issue, I think I'm not the only one here.

Regarding the endless loops- I never could get it to work. I've now abandoned trying to work with vault via the IDE - its just too buggy.

If the fix is to check the box to "only show this when the shift key is down", why not make that the default too?

it seems like the default settings in vault often lead me down the wrong path.