Issue after 3.5 Upgrade

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

rcwalden

Issue after 3.5 Upgrade

Post by rcwalden » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:26 pm

After I upgraded our 3.1.X server to 3.5, I've run into an issue that I can figure out. If I stay logged into the server, the clients from other machines work. As soon as I log out of the server, the Vault service can no longer access the database. I am using the Machine process model, which I used before. I have double checked and the Network Service has access to all the required folders. Any thoughts?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:11 am

Can you tell me more about your set-up, such as the server OS, version of SQL, service packs, etc.?
Is the server performing any other major functions?
What errors are you receiving?
When Vault works are you logged in as Admin or a domain user?
If you look at Vault Service in IIS and look at Properties->Directory Security, what user is configured for Anonymous Access?

Just to reiterate, the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE must have read/write permissions on:
  • C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\,
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microcsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys,
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\VaultShadowFolder\, and
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Famework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files.

rcwalden

Post by rcwalden » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:57 am

It is a Windows 2003 server and only operates Vault and Dragnet. We are using Sql Server 2000 and both servers have the latest services packs and security fixes.

When I am not logged in, the client gets a invalid cast error and when I look at the logs on the Vault server, it tells me that the login failed for the sgvaultuser to the vault database.

I did verify that the NT Authority\Network Service has read/write permissions on those folders.

rcwalden

Post by rcwalden » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:22 pm

Bump....Though we are not down, I need help getting this resolved as soon as possible. I can't stay logged into the server to keep the access going. Also, I am getting intermittent reports of people getting Specified cast is not valid from the client when switching repositories.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:04 pm

Can you send me your Vault Server Log and your web.config file?

There could potentially be some issue with using the Machine Process Model with your set-up. That is usually used when ASP.NET is configured to run under the local system account and IIS5. We might be able to tell more from the logs.

rcwalden

Post by rcwalden » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:40 pm

Beth,

Here are the files you requested.

Thanks,

Richard
Attachments
Web.zip
(12.58 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:25 pm

Can you try to uninstall (Keeping the database when prompted), and then install (using the existing database when prompted)? During the installation, use the default ASP.Net Process model, instead of the System model.

This machine setting is more for a custom setting, and is not useful with IIS 6.0 / Windows 2003 Server. Since parts of the SQL connection are encrypted, only when logging in do the decryption keys become available for the ASP.Net process.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear