Automatically moving old projects

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jsiegmund

Automatically moving old projects

Post by jsiegmund » Wed May 09, 2007 3:47 am

Within Vault, or maybe Fortress, is it possible to define a ruleset which automatically moves unused projects to a different folder/repository? This would be a very nice feature if it's not yet implemented; to make sure the default repository is kept clean and quick to use.

If it's not implemented yet: would it be hard to implement a query which does this? I only want to move projects which weren't touched in the last 6 months or so. How do other users do this, since maintaining it manually seems to be a lot of work if the project count is high.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 09, 2007 7:31 am

Currently you would have to write your own scripts that call the Vault Command Line Client or use the Vault API, and even then it would only move the files within a repository. To move an entire project to a different repository you would have to use our export-import tool. I can put in a feature request though.

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Wed May 09, 2007 7:35 am

Well, I would say more users could use such a functionality so a feature request would be nice :)

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 09, 2007 7:36 am

As a side note, moving the entire history for a project to another repository has the potential to be a very large operation. Moving within a repository might be more feasible if that's acceptable.

jsiegmund

Post by jsiegmund » Wed May 09, 2007 7:52 am

In my understanding, repositories get slower the more information they've got in them. To maintain a speedy system I thought of moving old projects into an 'archive repository'. That way the projects don't completely disappear from sourcecontrol, but the default repository could stay clean and fast for development.

Any other solutions to this problem are welcome too, but moving the project within a repository won't speed it up as I understand?

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 09, 2007 12:52 pm

You're right on that. You currently can use our export-import tool to export a project and all it's history and import it into another repository. Vault just can't decide to do that automatically right now.